Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGENERAL, Dec 9, 2001.

1. BassGENERAL

BassGENERAL

Dec 8, 2001
    Has anyone in here tried out OLP basses, because I am thinking about getting one.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I think you probably wanted to put this in the Basses forum. Also, if you do a search, there have been a couple of threads on this recently. Finally, my short answer is to consider the OLP basses the version of the Stingray that the MIM Precisions are to the American Standard Fender - decent, playable, but not exactly like the original.

3. And so it is done.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    BassGENERAL: I tried the 4 and 5 strings.. The 4 string is great for the price! I love the neck and the feel.. for $250, this is a killer deal

5 string: i thought the B was horrible and and the whole bass was garbage to me. so if you get OLPs.. stay with the 4 string and do some pickup/preamp changes and thatw ill be one killer bass :D

DM:D

5. I agree with DarkMazda, although only to add to the shame of the OLP 5'er the neck appears to be only slightly if ANY bigger then 4 string which resulted in (IMO) unbearably close string spacing similar to what youi might find a guitar, which was not to my liking. OLP 4's are a great deal, and throw in say, the SD MM pup and tone circut/preamp and away you go with a <$500 that will be nearly as good as its big brother. :D

6. was the B string the only thing wrong with the fiver DM?
    cos i was thinkin of getting one, replacing all the crapness with goodness and stringing it EADGC (which is how i play fivers!)

cheers
    *Si*

7. just to set the record straigh about myself (dunno about BassGeneral), but i have a main axe, a keeper, my fave bass. Thats it for a few years regarding expensive basses, i'm just looking fer a lil project :)

*Si*

8. Yuck. Ugh, disgusting. Makes me wanna puke, eww. urgh BLUURRRRRGHFSAF. (vomits into bucket). OLP Stingray 5s. Oh dear. Oooooh. That is an awfully bitter taste.

Dont touch it, stay AWAY. Put the bass down, walk away slowly and put you hands behind you head.

I had a 4stringer cos it was cheap/incomplete it was good. Especially after i reassembled it. But ooh the fives are poor. If you were gonna buy one and whack new electronics on it why not just wait a while and get an Ibanez BTB405 or something?

sim

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    More armchair moderators...

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The weird thing about the OLP's is, about 3 months ago they were all over the place, now the stores aren't reordering them. :confused:

11. i just want a cheap project bass...a BTB is £400, a OLP is £120......BIG difference
    what is the difference between the 4 and the 5 that makes to 5 so bad???, and don't say the B, cos i would have a C instead!

*Si*

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I checked out a four string OLP the last time I went to GC. It was decent constructionwise, but the electronics were the big disapointment. The control knobs were actually loose. No, not coming off the instrument, but the potentiometers weren't attatched firmly to the pickguard, so you could crank the volume all the way up and the knob would still twist. Not a good thing at all, especially considering the Squier P-bass is less expensive, although one kid I talked to told me the thing was falling apart on him. The tone was not great either, but I'm 30 and spoiled by Bartolinis. I think any kid with ~$2-300 to spend should ask a more experienced person to go to the store with them and help them find a decent used instrument.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I messed around with the 5, and the B was horrible. However, if you went with an E to C 5, I don't think you'd have too much of a problem. I say go for it. Good luck.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just wait. More containers are probably on the way, now that the initial order has sold out.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that.