1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP By Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silent89, May 8, 2006.

1. Ive been looking at getting a cheap 5 string to mess around with and while browsing looking at stringrays (ive heard much about them yet never played one :meh: ) came accross one which was cheaper then I expected. I then realised this was the budget brand.

Anyone tried OLP by Music Man before? any good? (yes, im aware that if i saved up X amount I could get a much superior guitar but atm Im after a cheap (enphaise on cheap) but still playable and good bass.

2. i have read many good reviews

3. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    juts to clarify, they are not OLP by Music Man. OLP has nothing to do with Music Man, the only relation is that OLP payed to be able to copy the Muisc Man headstock and body design.

nothenless olp makes decent basses for the price.

4. Deepwoods

Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Play a few until you find a good one. A Behringer bass DI ($30) will really make a huge difference. Run the controls on the bass full on and dial in your tone from the DI pedal. Lots of fun for little bux.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    My brother has one. Very very solid bass. I would change out the pots further down the road, but other than that, I steal it often. :ninja:

6. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Check out the OLP Tony Levin Sig. Nice bass, and very reasonable.

7. Played a blue 4 string at GC, nice. They were selling it off for $149. I agree about the pots though -- weak link.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've played a few and they were absolute garbage. Frets sticking out, dull, dead sounding pickups, scratchy pots. I'd buy a SX, Squire, etc. first.

9. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I played one that looked like the Tony Levin one but wasn't. It seemed fairly nice, apart from the fact Sound Control always leave their basses with the action about 3 inches off the fretboard :spit:

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The ones I've played were very nice, especially considering the low price tag. Very nice tone.

11. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    IF you can find one!

12. I have an MM3 5 string (black w/black hardware) It serves the backup/beater bass purpose pretty well. The only problems I have (and the reason I'm gonna get rid of it) is the thin neck and narrow string spacing. Just too tiny for my long fingers. But if you're not a giraffe like me, I'm sure it'll be to your liking.