1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP Custom Mods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaco_wallflower, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Hi,

I have an OLP MM3 Stingray Copy. I've been modding it these past few months to suit my taste. I buy cheaper basses only because i gig a LOT and i cant afford to have one of my higher end ones break on me.

So far, i've added Hipshot Tuners, Seymour Duncan Basslines SMB5a Pickup, 500k Pots, A graphite nut.

My bass is natural flame maple with a hint of yellow. i wanted to strip the paint off and keep it "natural" and instead of the red tort pickguard, i cut a koa pickguard to go in it's place. im also going to reshape the body a bit and make it a little more ergonomic.

my one concern is taking the neck apart from the body. i have no idea if that would take all the set up out of whack. i could put it back together but would it be the same? like as far as the trussrod and stuff? i need help.

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Yes, you'll need to re-setup the bass when you reassemble. You should be able to get it back where it is, but it's going to need some tweaking.

I'd take all the tension out of the strings and trussrod slowly over a few days before removing it from the bass, since it's probably going to be off for a good chunk of time.

3. my only problem is that i have no experience with truss rods. i can tweak bridges no prob. but the most daunting thing is the truss. i also cannot afford to send it off to pace guitar repair here in houston because he has a very very very long turnaround.

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    it's really nothing to be scared of. do a little reading in the Setup forum.