1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP MM-3 4 String Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Well normally I would not even be considering a bass like this, but lately I have been having to downtune to Drop C from Standard a lot more, and with only one main bass, I was thinking of getting a cheap backup to always keep downtuned.

The problem is that I am not sure if an OLP like that would be able to handle the downtuning without having very loose strings.

If anyone has had one of these or knows someone who does and knows if these basses can handle downtuning, that'd help me a lot.

Thanks guys.

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    As with any bass you would just need heavy gauge strings

3. pj4553

pj4553

Mar 11, 2007
    i have an olp mm i bought and its tuned to drop c. to be honest with you i dont like the bass. it feels cheap and sounds it too. save up a few more bucks and get you a MIM fender jazz or an ibanez ATK. ive had both and with Ernie Ball power slinkys and a proper set up you wont be dissapointed

4. +1

either use heavy gauge, or get a beater, tune BEAD and use a capo. That's what I'm doing right now. Although, I'll probably need to upgrade the capo soon (it's the thin, metal-bar capo from fender).

5. That is actually a very good idea.

My main bass is actually a 5 string so using a capo on the first fret would give me the Drop C tuning I desired.

I just have to find a capo big enough now to try it out.