Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP/MM Clone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Razor, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok, here's one for all of the MM lovers out there. I recently talked to a couple of techs/luthiers.
    I was telling them about my attempts to find a nice 5 string MM/Sterling to try. I am not a 5 string player but I wanted to try it and see if I could get accustomed to it....anyways...while I was talking to each of them they mentioned this OLP line of MM/Sterling copies that are around 250-300 bucks. I told them that I thought it was a really cheap version of the MM/Sterling and I would be somewhat skeptical of the feel/tone.
    Both techs, without being prompted on what I had previously been told, stated to me that they had each seen/worked on these OLP basses and both said that after closely examining the tool markings it was there opinion that these OLP bodies and necks were cut over here in the states. Both said it was their theory that the wood was being cut over in the states and then shipped overseas for final finish and assembly.
    Any thoughts or has anyone else heard this theory?
    FWIW I think that the OLP might not be a bad idea as long as it feels decent (no matter where the body is from) after a good bridge/pickup replacement. I just wondered if anyone had heard this theory about the tool marks.
    Alan:bassist:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Its new to me!:confused:

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    that could be exactly what is going on... I know of atleast one other company that cuts there stuff in the US and finishes everything in their overseas factory...

P@

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    FWIW let me clarify something....I am in no way "bashing" OLP....I actually am considering getting one, doing a few mod's to it, and seeing how it goes. I have an Essex I severely modded and it is now one of my fav basses. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard about the tool markings and such. So before a hornet's nest gets stirred let me just say that the initial post is in no way a bad remark about OLP. :)

-And for those of you thinking.."Why doesn't the idiot just buy a MM/Sterling?" Well, I assure you that if I could afford one lump sum like that I would. I like to mod just about every bass I get and it's easier on my pocket book to make small purchases as opposed to one big one.
    Alan:D

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    no arguments here! I already have a blue one on hold for me, I have schaller tuners for it, and I will be getting the Basslines/MM replacement system for it... hehehe...

P@

6. never seen a MM Sterling 5 string...OLP is making MM/sterlings clones.?.I thought they only made the Stingray type????:confused: I have played the OLP Stingray 4 and 5 string and I thought they were both perty good basses for the money, but don't even come close to sounding like the real thing.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Definately lemme know how that goes when you get it finished. That might be the deciding factor for me.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    And due to my inexperience on the Sterlings I probably mis-spoke. I appologize, I guess the pickguard is what threw me.

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    sure thing, it might be a few weeks to a month... say, did you ever get that pm I sent about a p bass neck?

P@

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yessir...did you get rid of it yet?

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

nope.... not yet! :D Interested?

P@

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Sending you a PM now my friend....

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    back atcha!

P@

14. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i had an olp mm bass and dumped it off for this reason,i had a geometry issue,the headstock angle
    was a little off,i had to customize the string guide to make an annoying buzz disappear from the area
    between the nut and tuner,and this was'nt an eclusively a problem to my bass only,i played 3 others at my teachers m/store and 2 at g/center
    and they all had a similar issue,other than that i guess they were ok,IF YOU LIKE BIG CHUNKY NECKS!
    i do only on a p-bass, and though they look like real mms they dont feel like a real one,i am saying this inpartially cause i dont care either way for one or the other

15. "although they look like MMs"....well actually they dont. Superficially they do, obviously, but there are many differences. The real MM bridge wont fit an OLP, and neither will the pickguard.

16. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if a non-music man fan(myself included) looked at this bass we would say it looks "like" a mm bass, on further inspection it more like "re-sembles"
    a mm bass, i am a fender fan and wanted a different style bass,(i own a j/bass and a p/bass special)this seemed like a honarable addition to my family, once i dove into the bass and played it for awhile,then went to my local m/store and played the real m/man i was no longer sold on the bass,i bought it on an impulse when i went to g/center and played one then went home and seen one on e-bay for 170.00 well i could'nt help myself, now i hate myself! LOL, i just swaped it in for an 80s japan p-bass clone,THIS BASS ROCKS! i've never heard of the brand"GRAND PRIX" i was told by my friend/teacher/luthier it was from a small 80s japanese company that never lasted,well let me tell you it rivals ANY p-bass(passive) i've yet to have the pleasure of playing,:bassist: :D

17. I looked at buying an OLP 5 string as a back-up to my Ray5. Having tried several I decided that my money would be better spent elsewhere. The OLP's are superficially similar to MM basses, but the string spacing and necks are IMO awful - much narrower and chunkier. Tonally, they leave a lot to be desired. I suppose you could spend money on replacing the hardware, but I can't see an inexpensive way around the neck "problem". The finish of the bass was poor also. There are better basses around at this price. Don't be fooled into thinking these in any way share a pedigree with MM basses.