1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP MM copy OR fender P mim

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richie_M_, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Richie_M_

Richie_M_

Dec 30, 2011
    So, I am buying one of these today. My first bass that I'm buying since I've been burrowing a bass for close to 2 years. Being slightly inexperienced, I was curious what you guys think is the better deal. The olp mm for $240 or the fender p mim for $340. How close is a stock olp mm to a SUB mm or sterling? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm kinda new to all of this.

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    The MIM Fender actually sounds and feels like a Fender Precision should.

The OLP MM... notsomuch, it sounds and feels nothing like a Stingray. It only looks like one.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Not even close.
    The MIM Fender P.
    Also more readily available upgrade components for the P.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Fender MIM P, no comparison, the OLP is not even in the same league. Seriously, the OLPs pickups sound anemic and the couple I have worked with had some terrible fretwork, a proper setup was impossible.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    What can I say that hasn't already been said.
    I had an OLP MM 5 string. Bought it used at what I thought was a bargain, still took a beating when I sold it. Neck was OK, pickups were mediocre at best and the body was not a good reproduction af a MM. It never got played out of the house.
    My main bass is a MIM P bass with upgraded pickups and pots.

6. Richie_M_

Richie_M_

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I went with the fender P bass. And love it. The neck feels great, very comfortable to play. Great P bass sound. Couldn't be happier!!! Thanks again.

7. Yup MIM P all the way OLP imo makes good firewood

8. 76JazzRay

76JazzRay

Mar 30, 2009
    Arizona
    I have both, a 4 string P MIM and a 5 string OLP. Sounds pricey for a MIM. I paid $125 for the MIM (98 I think) and $199 for the OLP. MIMs can be uneven in quality, but if you look for the first few years, I think they are best. I dropped in some Lindy Fralin's (+$125), new pickguard and some chrome nobs with a proper setup, and I'll put that P up against any other P Bass out there (for real).

My OLP is my first 5'er. Bought it from GC and the truss rod is frozen so decided to NOT spend another $200 to get that fixed. It plays ok but sounds pretty good. It's no 'ray, but I'm happy with it and get compliments on the sound and how it sits in the mix (contemp christian).

Best of luck, just make sure the truss rod moves and you should be able to get a decent setup.

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats, and glad that you chose this one!

10. For what its worth, MIM P's are great basses, especially the ones made in the last few years. Couldnt really go wrong with one.

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    The OLPs are hit or miss. I happen to own one that is very nice. It was my primary bar giggin bass for about 18 months. It paid for itself many times over. I played it before I bought it. I never expected it to sound like a real ray I liked the fact that my particular bass (Natural-Elm) had a very nice punchy fingerstyle sound. In fact I still have it but it's collecting dust now. Now about that MM sound. It can be had on an OLP. The soution is a Nordy MM pickup (they make one with the narrow OLP spacing) and their 2 band MM pre. Another option for the pre is the two band SGD luthiery MM pre that I have seen mentioned also nails the MM Ray sound. Sterling by MM nails the sound for around $600 and they just introduced the new SUB for around $300. This may be your inexpensive solution. I don't know when they hit the streets (sept??)

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have a MIM Fender P for sale in the classifieds, if you're interested. $300 shipped

13. I have one of each, an OLP with a BassLines pickup and preamp and a MIM P and a Squire P as well. Each has their own character and it depends on my mood or what I'm playing (or butchering trying to play!) which one I choose. In the long run I don't think you can go wrong with a P especially if you're playing R&R.

14. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    You have chosen.... wisely.

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The P bass was the wise choice for a noob, because a "ray tone is a very special thing that you have to really want. The P-bass on the other hand covers a LOT more bases. (pun!)

I really don't get all the negative talk on OLP though. It's main problem is that the electronics suck beyond belief. It pretty much must be redone to be reasonably useful. I haven't changed the pickup on mine and it does a real 'Ray tone just fine. In fact, there is NO DOUBT that it does so! Why? Because when I bought it at GC they had SEVERAL real authentic over a grand MM 'rays there and I carefully A-Bed them.

Well, obviously the OLP is passive and isn't going to give you a total 'ray tone with no EQ. But if you flat out the EQ on the real 'Ray, the OLP nailed the tone just fine. No expensive pickups, no mods no nuthin!

Given the price of my OLP, compared to a real 'Ray, it is FAR FAR from "firewood". And add a Ray-clone active preamp to that and it's even closer I'm sure. And although in the past I've given it some mileage, currently it isn't doing much, but not because it's trash, but because the "Ray tone is not what I want right now.

Which is the point with regard to the OP. An OLP or a real stingray has a certain distinctive tone. It's a KILLER tone, but still it's a stingray tone. If you want that, it can't be beat. But for a beginner, it's far safer to stick with Fender until you really know what you are looking for.

16. P P P P P P P P P P P P

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed...

- georgestrings

18. You pretty much summed it for me. I have it in my head but sometimes can't make it come out of my fingers! I done the same thing you said with putting everything flat on a real Stingray and played it against an OLP, same thing. The stock electronics stink. Put the full Monty BassLine setup and its a totally different animal.