Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM Stingray Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Colarndo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They arent bad for the money: they are quite cheap. So it wouldnt be a bad idea.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I'm considering a new bass, and i was considering an Essex...but this may change my mind...

4. I haven't played a real one, but I've played the OLP MM2 copy.

Not bad for the price.

Passive - not active. Build quality is OK - nothing amazing - but fine.

Playability is good. Tone is kinda cool as well.

For the price I'd say it's worth a try.

In fact I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself just for some fun.

;)

5. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    get the MM# the sr5 copy... seriously awsome i played that sucker for like an hour before in a shop some fat high skool kid wanted to see it... then i never saw t again... very nice i recommend it

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I picked up an OLP MM3 a few months back to try a five. I think the quality of construction is better than other basses in the same price range, and it plays great. I was originally thinking I'd dump it after I decided about fives, but I think I'll keep it as a beater!

7. Colarndo

Colarndo

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Hmm, looks like I'll better get one before they get smart and raise the price.

8. robjs

robjs

Dec 19, 2004
    How do they compare to the MM SUB? I played the SUB the other day, and man, it completely rocked me. I really love the textured finish on it. Just need to replace that pickguard with something cool (maybe I'll paint and lacquer one :) ) and it'll rock completely :)

Rob

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    IMO, a SUB is a seriously better bass than an OLP. Think OLP = Squier, SUB = MIM.

10. robjs

robjs

Dec 19, 2004
    Ah cool, cheers for your advice. Think I may watch out for one in the post-Christmas sales.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Actually, the SUBS are MIA and have 100% the quality of the upper line musicman basses, just less bells and whistles.

I don't have a lot good to say about the OLP's though.

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tim is correct, of course - I meant to describe how the OLPs and SUBs fall in the EBMM line compared to Fender. MIM Fenders are quality basses made in Mexico; EBMM SUBs are quality basses made in SLO.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I do have to admit I had an OLP myself, the 4 string model. I took a couple years off from bass, and this was the first one I bought when I came back to playing. It honestly wasn't too bad and in my opinion, it sounds pretty close to a real ray, given what it is (don't kill me for this, of course it sounds different, but it had that humbucker bark and crunch to it). I bought a basslines alnico MM pup for it, wired it passive just to find I liked the sound of the original pup better. It sounded more like a ray, passive anyway.

It wasn't a bad bass, but the hardware was junk.

Maybe I just got lucky and got an okay one, because I have played others I thought were horrible.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Agreed - there seems to be a *lot* of sample variation in OLPs. I would never order one or buy one without playing it first!

When I bought my five, they had three in stock. One sucked, one was OK, and mine was pretty good. Not excellent, but doable.