Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM Stingray purchase OR Fender Mexi Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I am looking at purchasing the OLP MM Stingray. I know that this has been discussed alot. I did a search and didn't find some info that I remember reading few months back. What can you all tell me about this BASS? Also if anyone knows the links to the old discussions on the OLP, could you please list them for me to follow and read about this Bass? Thanks

2. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Surely these basses aren't the same price. If they are I'd take the Mexi Fender (very nice bass). But I've never played the OLP (which is probably Korean). The OLP might be better value for money, I imagine it should be significantly cheaper.

3. The OLP is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of a MIM Fender, and is made in China. You cant compare them because they are completely different.

4. ..yup, but I'd go with the MIM Fender, I've played both, and I wasnt nuts about the OLP after trying the basses.

All I could you is that the MIM Fender's are a lot better quality than what they used to be...And I just did ;)

5. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Ignoring the fact that these have quite different specs, these basses aren't in the same league! The MIM Fenders, especially the current production, are very good basses indeed.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I tried an OLP over the summer. Nice looking bass, but it "felt" cheap. Definitely go with the MIM Jazz.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What JazzX said.