1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP MM2 Bass guitar.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loops84, Feb 29, 2008.

1. loops84

loops84

Feb 20, 2008
    I need to know if this bass has an adjustable truss rod. That and where can I get some upgrades for it, you know change the knobs, the pick guard, maybe even get some better electronics for it. I am a beginner bassist and want to use this one for a little while, it's just that it isn't that loud.

2. Absolutely...you're not looking in the right place. The adjustment is at the base of the neck - it's a round nut with openings into which you can insert a small hex key or screwdriver and turn the nut. Loosen the strings first, give it no more than 1/4 turn, then tension the strings and give it overnight to move before adjusting it any further. (You can see it at the base of the neck in the photo below.)

I bought a used OLP M22 about two weeks ago, and I'm very impressed with it. I don't see any shortcomings of knobs, pickup, etc that need to be addressed, so I would suggest you go slowly and get used to the instrument.

If your knobs are the same chrome Precision-bass style as mine, I'm not sure what you could find that would look better. The chrome-on-chrome look forks for me. Yesterday I added a Fender-style thumbrest to the E string side of the pickguard to give me a thumb placement option in between the neck and the pickup.

Here's mine:

P2160003.

3. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    My sons freind has 1 & yes to all questions . The truss rod is adjustable via a wheel at the bottoms of the neck it has holes in it.
    Knobs same as ever other bass / guitar
    Pickgaurd - Music Man ( I dont know what model or custum made 1)
    Pickup any MM pup ie EMG LF SD etc
    Pots & cap same as any othe bass / guitar
    I see Pilgrame bet me to it

4. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're a beginner, I'd suggest that you make sure you know what you're doing before you start messing with a truss rod. You can mess things up. Were you planning on adjusting it yourself?

Some pickups are definitely louder than others, but if you have a real need for loudness, you might need a more powerful amp. Louder pickups will only get you so far.

6. Good point. WHAT is the specific problem you're trying to correct with a truss rod adjustment? that's only one step in a general setup, and if you do that without paying attention to your overall setup, you can end up with worse problems.

Here's a setup guide I recommend that you study and work your way through, step by step: http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php

It's a Fender guide, but the differences between a typical Fender bass and your OLP are negligible.

7. loops84

loops84

Feb 20, 2008
    well, I have no real problem I just wanted to adjust the bass to feel better in my hands when I play. I got an Ibanez GS...something. the fretboard is flat and feels comfortable and easy play. So, I wanted to do that with the OLP bass. I read that it can lower the strings to make it easier to hold down.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably a GSR200. I had that bass, then I jumped to an OLP 'Ray. The main difference is that the neck on the OLP is a bit fatter. That took some getting used to. But worrying about the truss rod right now is... silly. Wait til you get it and see if it's actually something that needs fixing.

9. loops84

loops84

Feb 20, 2008
    Yea, your probably right. I will not worry about that. I just want to make sure everything is as it should be for better tone quality and sound. I think I will take it to a tech. to make sure it is properly set up.

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You will love that OLP when you get it set up the way you want it.

Setting up a bass is not difficult, but you have to know what you're doing or you will inevitably make it worse instead of better. Paying a knowledgable person at your guitar store to do it for you is not very expensive.

If you want to do your own setup, please read the link to the setup guide in the above reply. NEVER give the truss rod more than 1/2 turn per 24 hours - I never give it more than 1/4 turn per 24 hours.

The primary reason to adjust the truss rod is NOT to raise or lower the strings - that is a side effect. The proper order or doing things is:
    (1) Adjust the truss rod to get the correct amount of bow in the neck.
    (2) Adjust the saddles to get the string heights your prefer.
    (3) Adjust the intonation to make the individual string lengths correct.
    (4) Adjust the pickup height to get the best tone.
    (5) Tweak the saddle heights, if necessary, to fine tune the string heights.
    (6) Adjust the intonation again.

I (and many other folks) replaced the OLP pickup and circuitry with an MM pickup and onboard preamp from Seymour Duncan. You have a choice of pickups with ceramic or Alnico magnets. I used Alnico, you may prefer ceramic (I don't). You have a choice of a 3-band preamp with stacked bass and treble knobs (separate mid & volume knobs) or a 3-band preamp with separate bass and treble knobs. Get the one with stacked knobs unless you plan to replace the control plate with one that has 5 holes instead of 4. You will have to cut a battery compartment into the back of the bass, install a battery box and route the battery leads into the control cavity. This is NOT a job for a beginner with hand tools.

The pickup will cost a few bucks less than $100, and the preamp will cost a few bucks less than $100. Install them and you will have a so-called "poor man's StingRay". It will play good, sound fantastic, and you will have abou $450 total invested.

I love mine. It's not equal to a real StingRay, but it's real close for about a third of the cost.

11. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't wish to sound impolite, but I can tell from the above paragraph that you don't really know what you're doing.

What you're referring to is called action, and holding down the strings is called fretting. A lower action makes fretting easier.

A truss rod's purpose is not to adjust your action, it is to add or remove relief from the neck. To adjust the action of the bass, you need to adjust your bridge, not the truss rod. In some cases, you might need to shim the neck, and in other cases, the nut may need adjustment.

If you don't know what you're doing, you can strip the truss rod, thus destroying the neck. My suggestion is that you have a professional do your setup for you.

Best of luck.