Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM2, opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 28, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Hey, I recently stubled across this bass after noticing the very low price and wanted to know what the TB community thought about this bass. It will only be used for practice and some gigs and might consider replacing the stock pu with a bartolini and other little upgrades.

Thoughts?

2. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
  3. OLP basses are quite good. They sound pretty good, and do a fair job of getting the EBMM sound without the price, even if they are passive.

I am not sure I would recommend getting the bass if you are just gonna upgrade it though. For $500-$600 you can find a SUB with a built in preamp, or for $700-$800 you can start finding used EBMM basses. If you are on an extremely limited budget it might be worthwhile, but my suggestion would be simply to get one of the higher end basses.

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    very well said.... I have seen EBMM used for $650. I played and OLP and yea for $250 it was a KILLER bass. :p
    Keep the Funk Alive!!!!

5. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Yea, unfortuanly im on a very tight budget and this is just for now. Putting the money towards a cab and amp head.

6. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if you have another bass that gets the job done, save the money for something you really need, or for a future bass that you can really be proud of.

7. I'm thinking of buying one and wiring the stock pickup to a series/parallel selector and direct to the output jack bypassing the pots.

I have a Kent Armstrong MM wired like that in a Dearmond Jetstar special and in parallel mode it gets close to a stingray tone.