1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olp mm2 stingray for punk/heavy rock???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspunk2005, May 2, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Hey with all these stingray pics floating around on here atm I think I am getting some GAS. They look amazing the finishes look really really good. I just wondered if anyone here uses one in a punk/heavy rock setting. What does it sound like?Im looking to get this bass in this colour in the summer(the blue one in case it doesnt load properly)

http://www.basscentre.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_113&products_id=338

:D

Let me know what you think about my question. Thanks

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sure it will do fine in a punk/metal band. I used a USA made EBMM Sterling for years in a punk band. It sounded darn good :bag: ('til I came across my G&L L-2000) You may decide to change out the pickup later..that's one of the areas that they skrimped on to lessen the price.

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    yea, i have read that a lot of people have done that. Also, I have found that I can get the same bass but with a Maple neck and thats £225 insted of the £179 if I get rosewood. I havn't owned a maple necked bass before, would this be good to try out on this bass?Obviously itll be my choice but what do you guys think?

4. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    i have one and it's pretty good considering the price. they're really sturdy, have great action, rarely go out of tune, and have above average pickups IMO. if i had the money/need to change the pickup to a real MM i would, but the one i have is fine. i get johnny christ's tone from avenged sevenfold on the city of evil cd. good slap tone too. however, if you're going to play punk or hard rock type stuff, i suggest covering the pole pieces in masking tape to the strings don't make such a loud of a sound when they hit the pole pieces (happens on every MM bass).

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    ah right thats cool, I didn't actually know that? I suppose the pole pieces must be raised quite a bit then?I thought that I should try and venture away from the traditional bass style that I usually go for eg Fender P or like my fender J lol. I see the MM2 as a good starting point to test out a different styled bass. If that makes any sence lol. Have you got any sound clips of this bass in action playing punk stuff?Thanks

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played one at guitar center this week, and thought that it had almost nothing in common with a real EBMM. The quality seemed quite low to me. I've played nicer in the price range.

7. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    If it's any help to you Mark, I've owned the maple necked, 5-string version for a few years now and have found it to be an excellent instrument for indie/punk rock styles. Although passive, the sound is essentially gutsy enough to punch through (IMO) and the split pickup volumes can be used to thin the sound out, if you want to approximate a Precision Bass sound, for faster picked runs perhaps?

I don't know about the 4-strings, mind you - I've never played one. One tip for you though, the "natural" finish models are (were?) made from elm and have a slightly different sound to the basswood of the painted ones. I wanted a black one, but when I tried it out in the shop, the assistant advised me to compare it to the natural finish one and ... I left with the natural finished one!

I have a new MM30 as well and to be perfectly honest, I don't think that the real Musicman is actually 5 times better than the OLP (which is what it works out to price-wise, I think). In fact, they feel remarkably similar to me, due to the unvarnished necks and generally solid construction.

A great bass for the money.:bassist:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played a few good ones and a bunch of bad ones. They're quality is rather inconsistent, but if you find a good one, hold onto it.

The comment about strings hitting the pickups is no cause for concern IMO. I played a Stingray in a metal band for about a year and NEVER had that problem, even playing very aggressively with a pick. I wore down 1.00mm Tortex picks, but never had clicking from it, depends entirely on your attack.

Owning two real Stingrays and having an OLP in my posession for two weeks, I'd say the two are very far apart in construction, hardware and tone. The only thing they really share is the shape.

9. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    :D Ah ha thanks Fender32:) I think that was one of the factors that was putting me off the bass was that it was made of Basswood. Ill take a look at the natural finish one and Ill look up on some reviews now. Your post did help mate thanks:D tplyons also thanks for yours, I also use a pick and attack pretty hard, but If you didnt experiance anything playing with heavy pics than me and in a heavier setting then there should be no problem:)as I said ill check up on these reviews. If anyone has any pics of their olp mm2s please feel free to post them up:D

10. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    http://www.firstguitarshop.co.uk/view_product.php?product=OLP6MKP863

Maple neck, elm body, 190 quid! You'll probably get one cheaper than that if you go to Denmark Street with cash in your pocket. :smug:

11. Yes. an OLP Musicman is what a lot of people around here use for their heavier bands.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I find that the sound was fine, but a friend of mine who got one had a tuner break off and a few other reliability issues (jack, pups/electronics, bridge) and I stayed away. Don't regret it either.

13. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Thanks again for the comments, Fender Ill take a look at that website:Dcan anyone post up pics of theirs?The ones on the websites where you can buy them doesnt do them justice. I would prefer to get it in that blue colour though, but maybe some pics will show me the light lol .Thanks

14. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I don't have one, but I have played a few at G.C. I wasn't impressed. With the quality, but maybe it was just the batch I tried. I've read reviews and I have to agree with this: each one's quality varies, even though they could be exactly the same. It is not a bass to ordered online. It would be best for it to be one you buy at a store so you know exactly what you're getting. They do look nice. If i could find one that felt good in my hands, I'd probably get one.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    If you're looking at a new OLP maybe you could find a used MusicMan; that would be my 2 bits....

16. haha you could use a broom stick with yarn for punk :).

In all seriousness I have an OLP guitar... I wish I didnt buy it... but i can do all that basic powercord crap on it, I imagin you'd be fine.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

18. A mate in another band bought one, I was really, really impressed with the tone. He had the action pretty high though, although I'm not sure if that was personal preference, not knowing how to adjust it, or the bass itself. I reckon it'd be a mix of the first two though.

19. Ordos2

Ordos2

Jan 16, 2005
    oh man!

i ordered a black mm3 a few days ago, and now your saying the natural finish has a better sound? =( i was already regretting ordering black because the natural looks so cool =P

but i figured ordering natural would make med regret not ordering black :)

20. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005

Nice one mate cheers!Ill be ordering one of those in natural with a maple neck at the end of the month once I get paid:DIv checked out loads of reviews and overall it was given about 8/10 which is good, I also read a review in a bass magazine on one and it gave it good feedback. Im still wanting to see pics of everyones OlP mm2s though!!!