Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM2 vs. ESP F-104

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vince S., Nov 8, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

I am looking into getting a new bass soon, and Ive narrowed my choices down to the OLP MM2 Stingray copy and the ESP F-104. Ive read nothing but good reviews on both instruments. However, I need some help deciding which one to purchase. I love the looks of the ESP, but I hear the MM2 is the best bass for the money. Should I get the MM2 or spend the extra 30 bucks and get the ESP? I play metal and rock btw.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im surprised you have such a big rig that you do, and such a low quality bass :eek: The OLP is better IMO.

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    um...im gonna say go with the esp. i played a olp in samash a few weeks ago and it wasnt nothing like the reviews said it would be. it just sounded very muddy. the esp (tho i havent played this model you are mentioning) has to sound better. the build quality of the olp isnt very good IMO. go with the esp. just my $.005

4. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    I tried the OLP last week, was gonna use it as back up, played it for about an hour before I put it back in its box and returned it. I also read a ton of GREAT reviews on it which is why i tried it out. Needless to say, IMO it didn't even come close to living up to the hype. Sound as stated above was very muddy, and its a terribly heavy bass (22lbs I think). The neck is also very big which may not be suitable for a beginner bassist (though you will eventually work your way up to a larger neck). Never tried the ESP's so I can't really comment on them.

On the other hand I have a friend that bought a Squire P a year or so back. He stuck in some Seymour Duncan 1/4 punders and a BadassII bridge, and i swear it could give the American Presicions a run for the money for a fraction of the price. I used to play presicions many years ago and it is the one bass that can fill ANY role you may find yourself in!

Good Luck!

5. theres better basses out there for less dough than that too. Look around some more. I dont like olp. But the last one i played was the old ones with the plain p-guards. But i figure they still sound crappy. Check out essex and brice. Or maybe look for used gear. It's usually fine, and cheap, and already set up, and as long as the frets arent worn out and nothings broken on it, it'll still play just as good as new.
    Just my suggestions.

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Thanks alot for all your input. I think Im going to keep looking around, and probably check out some local shops for used equipment. Im still a little more partial to the ESP though, so I might get that model used. Thanks again.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, there's no way the OLP was 22Lbs... you are extremely over exaggurating. JT'S doubleneck 8 weighs 3 more pounds than that... which is just wrong. you must mean like 10-12 lbs. or something.

8. maybe if you stuck a seymour duncan and a BA bridge into the olp, it would give...something a run for its money. Still wouldn't compare to a real stingray in terms of construction, but in terms of sound, who knows? It would probably just as nice as the squier if not better.

9. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i was actually going to do that at one point. i went to SA and tried one out and it was way heavier than a stingray and the wood were cheap and the neck felt like plactic...but heavier. i dont think it would even be that great as a project bass. just some more of my $.02.

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Solidus,

If you want a great Stingray copy contact Tony at MusiciansMate@aol.com and talk to him about the Dillion. This is the dealer John Dillion (owner) himself suggested I talk to for a great price. This bass smokes the OLP!

Here's why:

Excellent hardware.
    Maple body with ash laminate on top and back (natural finish). heavy body=awesome tone, sustain (not basswood)
    Awesome sounding passive pickup!
    Beautiful bass and not much more than the OLP in price.

Trust me on this one. I own 3 EB Stingrays presently and still love this bass!

Check out this thread for pics, etc.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97524

11. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Yeah I just read my fed ex return shipping, the weight was 17 lbs. On the fed ex drop off sheet it weighed in at 22lbs though. Regardless...17 lbs is still a hell of a heavy bass imo.

12. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    sometimes companies like FedEx charge extra "weight" to the package if its and oversized package which a guitar is. A really heavy guitar would weigh 12-14 lbs. That's a REALLY heavy guitar. My Ray's are fairly heavy and they only weigh around 9 lbs.

Heavy G&L's weigh around 11 usually.