Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM2 Vs Mexican Fender P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass18, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Im looking to buy a new bass and Im tossing up between these two. The fender mexican p bass is $AUS1150 and the OLP MM2 (stingray 4 copy) is $AUS795. I know the fender is better quality but is the difference in quality that great? Any opinions appreciated. Also, which bass of the two is the lightest?

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    get the fender, unless you can find a bass called "Jordin", and dont get the warwick copies they make get the sniper series, thatll out do the fender anyday and it is lighter.
    later
    Lukas

3. A friend asked me exactly that and I suggested the OLP. He had to buy mailorder and so could not try either one. He's a beginner and did not have an opinion on which sound would suit him. The P bass has a very different sound then the OLP. He got his black OLP from MF for $229 and it's a beaut. The fit and finish are flawless and the set up right out of the box was great. The OLP comes with Ernie Ball strings. Just like my own OLP, the neck seems to be very stable and neither one has needed a truss rod adjustment. My first bass was a MIM Jazz and the neck was like a limp noodle, needing truss rod tweaks several times a week. Eventually the TR was turned all the way and I had to buy a replacement neck. The OLP is definitely lighter than the Fender MIM and the neck is thinner. The bridge looks to be more substantial on the OLP and if you want to upgrade the pup, Seymour Duncan's MM pup will fit right in.

4. comments on the OLP are right on - was impressed when I took it for a test drive at the local GC. electronics a little hissy but playability was right on and variation in tones was surprising. i was thinking the same thing about just dropping in the SD replacement system and having a killer 4 string for less than US$450.

my opinion here: if you can try both of them before buying do so. seems like a no brainer but thinking that the mexi P is better in quality may not be 100% true. quality control at this price point is spottier than at higher levels so you may luck out with a kick butt OLP.

5. Having played both, and owned a fender..

my advice would be the OLP.. and yes.. like the others suggested.. if you drop in a SD or Bart' it'll make the thing come to life even more ! :D

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Either one would be a great choice. Personally, I like basses w/2 pickups. Would you consider a MIM Jazz bass. REALLY NICE. The newer ones have upgraded humcancelling pickups & they sound & play great.

7. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    I went to the music shop and tried them both out, i left the store more satisfied with the sound of the fender but i suspect that it had newer strings on...
    Would this be a great factor in deciding its tone? I've always been a fan of the fender tone through ampeg, would the MIM be able to achieve this to great effect?
    I didnt get much chance to try out the OLP so how close is the tone to the Stingray? Are the two comparable to the real copies in the sense that to help me decide which one I want I could essentially compare the sound of a real stingray to a MIA P bass?
    Also on other question, which is actually the larger of the two?