OLP MM2 vs Music Man S.U.B. X01/X02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tage, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    I was just wondering how the OLP MM2 stacks up against a true-blue Music Man S.U.B. Is the Music Man S.U.B. really worth the extra $500+?
  2. milo

Jul 22, 2004
    ask me next week when i will have basslines smb4ds and schaller 3d bridge installed.i have olp mm2 maple fretboard. :bassist:
  3. I A/Bed a passive SUB vs a passive OLP. The OLP beat it hands down.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    In what way(s)? Tone, versatility, construction quality, etc.?
  5. Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Tone and construction quality, mostly. I realize that the OLP wont be as high quality as a MM, but is it a case of Squier vs Fender or cheap knock off vs the real deal?
  6. Versitility they are the same. Tone quality the OLP just seemed to have a fuller tone to it, than the SUB. The SUB just seemed very weak (Mind you both of these are the passive models). Construction wise they were actually quite similar, the setup was better on the SUB than the OLP but that is easily fixed. The SUB I played already had finish problems (Cracked and Chipped Finish, of course this could just be due to normal guitar shop wear and tear), which made me weary. Overall I'd rate them about the same, however due to the large price difference, I'd say the OLP beat it no question.

I woulden't say its a case of Squier vs Fender or Knock off vs Real Deal. Its almost a case of MIM Deluxe vs Hwy1.
  7. I can assure you 100% that the active SUB rivals an active Stingray in sound. I found the SUB Sterling to be a bit harsh in the highs. I couldn't dial in a real solid sound out of it, but then I only tried for 5 minutes before a bunch of teenagers began piddling around with poorly played Blink 182 basslines on basses they'll never begin to appreciate properly, so I had to get out of there. I checked out an OLP Stingray. I didn't care for it. The bridge seemed pretty lousy and the setup was out of whack. Plus, I'd rather stick with a US made MM and that's what the SUB is. It couldnt've happened to a nicer bass. :)