Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP MM2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Jan 27, 2006.

1. worth it? i mean for under 200 dollars i would normally scoff at such a thing, but i have read that they are under license by music man, but to what extent?

basically is it worth the 175-200 dollars or no? in your personal opinion of course....:hyper:

by the way, im starting a new club here on tb.....the TB insomniac's club, i should be asleep, but instead im feeding my growing GAS problem

2. I use one as a "back up" bass.

I paid £60 for it (used) whatever that equates to in Dollars, and I think it represents good value for money. The only downside I have found is that, as there is no truss rod and no adjustment on the bridge, you are pretty much "stuck" with the action dictated by the guage and tension of your string choice but, as it is only there for emergencies, this has never seemed to be an issue.

Hope this helps in some small way. :) :)

3. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    they're good sounding basses for the money, but as Bassicinstinct said, the bridge is rubbish. Tuners are a bit whack as well so if you want to use it as a gigging bass upgrade the bridge and tuners and perhaps the neck (i never knew it lacked a truss rod). They're great basses for the price though. I'll have to get one sometime, i'd like one forr £60 :)

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes.

I have one and really like the front coil soloed. The two coils together sound o.k. but I really don't use the back coil much.

Something I haven't tried yet is to run the two coils in series. Justice (a TB and AGB'er) has done this to his (IIRC) and says that it rocks!

:D

Joe.

5. no trussrod? *** mate....

but yeah, i mean if the bridge is a problem i could always find a used stingray one on evilbay and throw it on there

but i cant believe there is no trussrod in the neck... is the neck pretty resilient against warpage?

6. Let's hope so eh?:meh: :meh:

7. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i'll sell you mine for 150, almostbrand new, in case. its a blue one. all it needs is some adjusted action. and maybe new strings of your choosing.

8. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    btw, mine definitely has a truss rod. there is an adjustment at the end of the fingerboard set into the body.

here is a pic:

[​IMG]

sorry about the tilted sideways thing.but you can see the truss rod adjustment near the neck.

9. yeah, no i just noticed that uppon further review of the website's pictures...

looks to me like a parker style adjustment rod (read = pain in the ass) but it can be adjusted.

adept, ill PM you

P.S., i love how OLP actually stands for Officially Licensed Products

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    My OLP has a trussrod AND it is EXTREMELY EASY to use.

What the heck do the rest of you have?????

:confused:

I think that for the money the OLP is an AWESOME buy.

Joe.

11. didnt say that the OLP one was a pain to adjust, just that Parker hardware in general is.......ever tried to work on a Parker nite flye bridge.....so many teeny tiny little things

12. Boy, do I feel stupid!!:( :( :( :(

Yes, I have now found the truss rod adjustment point.:meh:

(Note to self: Must spend more time exploring instrument before playing it :rollno: :rollno: :rollno: :rollno: )

Oh well, you live and learn (even when you're ancient like me:) )

13. Get one!! for the money they're excellent, i just bought one second hand and it did need some work to bring it up to scratch (frets needed leveled and pickup, bridge neck adjusted) but now it sounds and plays:hyper: great!

14. hehe, i went to a local shop today and they had a knock off OLP MM2, a nock off of a nock off.....priceless, its exactly the same as the music man and the olp, save the headstock/neck, made by arbor...didnt sound too bad, the neck was a bit chunky for my taste though

15. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Well, thats my LeCompte T-Bird that has the series wireing on the MM style pickup and yes it does growl. I'm sure modding the OLP MM pickup like that would really make it jump.

I do have a first gen OLP MM2 bass (blue with maple finger board) its been both my primary and backup bass, nice bass for the $$ the bridge and tuners on mine are very solid.

FWIW, i just passed up an identical first gen MM2 in a pawn shop today for $99. it was in real good shape. Needed new strings though.

16. wow, good stuff

is pretty much everything interchangable between the olp and the mm/eb ?

17. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    ancient as in you helped build stone henge or ancient as in you saw the beatles play live?:bag: :D

18. Now that IS cruel. :D :D :D :D

19. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    You remove the neck of an OLP to adjust the truss rod [easily].

20. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    MMMmmmmm......no, I don't think so.

The truss rod on my OLP is easily accessable from the front with NO removal of the neck or anything else.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

See??

Or do you have something different?

Joe.