1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP MM22/MM32's = Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joelb79, Aug 26, 2007.

1. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Finally some non cheap looking OLP's! I'm impressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really digging the Graphite Pearl 4. I think a black pearl pickguard would finish it off nicely, possible some Nordstrand MM4.2's and a Aguilar OBP-3. :ninja:

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Is the second one supposed to be a Sterling? That one doesn't look half bad... are they active with all those knobs? Could be a fun project :)

OLP's site says these things already have 3 band EQs... I wonder how these preamps are. What do they sell for? MSRP is $650 on the 5er.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    $399 or the 4 string on MF. $449 for the 5er.

Pretty dang nice prices!

4. Looks very nice, but how do they sound and play? I tried an OLP SR5 the other day. It was night and day compared to the SUB5... just really cheap 'n' nasty by comparison... maybe these new ones are a step up?

-Mark

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Can't comment. Have not played them unfortunately. I'm just saying the look a step up compared to the M2's.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Tony Levin model back in Italy. It's actually quite nice. OLPs are good basses, IMO. Much better than the price would suggest. Reminds me of the VMS Squires, cheap but dang good.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Dammit.
    That 4 string looks great!

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Buy it Chef, if it's anything like my Levin, it's a steal of a bargain. And it's not like you'd be spending a bunch of money. They're cheap and good.

9. I saw those not long ago & wanted to pick on up but a bit strapped for cash :p they look awesome

10. I love cheap and good, too. But one of things with cheaper instruments is they can be a mixed bunch, with a few gems among the dogs. Maybe the OLP I tried was a dog, and yours is a gem. But in the cheaper ranges, I'd be inclined to try out the actual instrument before buying, rather than purchase mail order.

Too much of a crap shoot otherwise, with the odds possibly not in your favour.

Just a thought. They are pretty, tho.

-Mark

11. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I played mine in the store. I would agree to try before you buy on the cheaper instruments, due to the variations. On higher end stuff (like MusicMan), I've got no problems doing it mail order. Got all 3 of my MusicMans before trying, no disappointment. But yeah, with things like OLP, SX, Squire, MIMs, etc. try before you buy if possible.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Very sound advice.
    Many, the graphite pearl 4 is just...fine...
    GC carry these? I may need to run to KC and try to find me a good one...

alan

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I would think that guitar center has them, seeing as they are a retailer of them. MF is GC.

14. Buck62

Buck62

Aug 22, 2007
    Oh great!... Thanx a lot!

Now I got G.A.S. for that 4-string!! :hyper:

Jeezus, I'm gonna get served with divorce papers if I buy another bass. :D

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Two words..

Pre-Nuptial Agreement. :)

16. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Are you talking about me in this by any chance?

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Nah, thats a Pre-Nupp'tial agreement. Much different. :D

18. :eek:

That would make a perfect companion to my black cherry burst SR4.

I might have to look at getting one shipped out here to Aus....

19. U R right IMHO both these basses LOOK great. The Levin OLP I tried in the shop WAS nice playing too!!!!
    U mention getting new pickguards. Does anyone know where to get replacement pickguards for EB MM Stingray 5's H ??? Hopefully I don't HAVE to get a licenced one- I mean I've yet to come across a pickguard that actually makes my bass SOUND better!!!!:D
    But I'd like a white pearloid, or similar to go on my Translucent teal(green) single H 'ray 5!:hyper:

20. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hmm.. theperfectbass.com has EBMM Pickguards direct from EB.