Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Feb 20, 2006.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Im looking to get my first ever 5 string bass and ive done alot of research. I dont want to spend too much and i know how to deal with crappy basses (seeing how i play a squier p/j)

Anyway would the OLP replica of a MM 5 string be a good idea? I doesnt need to be good, its just so i can play a 5'er every now and then. The colour and pearl is pretty sexy too

Help? Thanks
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've heard some good things, and I've also heard a bit that they're a tad hit and miss.

Also, I've seen a bunch around in the classifieds section...
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Natural is where it's at! Stingrays and Stingray copys look AWESOME in natural.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

that cept 5 string, too lazy to get the picture. I just wish SX would get them delivered to the US sooner....
  5. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    God I hope they sound similar to the 'Rays :(. the expected day is late June right? Any idea if the necks are similar to those on the 'Rays? I love those necks!
  6. weeding

May 17, 2005
    Mate with those, dont order one. Go into a shop and play it, then purchase that exact one. The overall consensus on those basses is that the good ones are excellent for the price and the bad ones are terrible, it all depends on the one you pick up... so make sure you buy one that you've played!
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    That headstock is awful. :spit:
  8. I just bought a used one (MM3 that is) over the weekend for ridiculously cheap ($100) and here's my initial impressions. I love the blacked out appearance. It's pretty light, yet resonates well. Basswood isn't my first choice for body wood, but it's growing on me. Plastic nuts & stamped bridges are my enemy, so those have got to go. The stock dual coil p/u sounds pretty aggressive, which I dig, but it's not really suited for more civilized tones, IMO. The B string isn't exactly brake cable tight, but it's reasonably articulate and will only improve with new strings, a more substantial bridge and perhaps even a string through body mod. String spacing is a little tighter than I'm accustomed to, but again with a new bridge (w/adjustable string spacing), I'm sure the situation will improve. The fretwork isn't as bad as some of the horror stories I've read. Just a little buzzing in the lower registers, and that'll soon be corrected as well. Finally, the tuners seem reasonably stable, yet I can see those being replaced in the near future as well. In it's current stock state, I wouldn't use it on a gig, but with some substantial mods, this will be one impressive 5er for much less than an SUB 5. Now I've got to agonize over which pickup/preamp to throw in. Hope this helped. If you see it in the same light as an SX, you've got yourself a champ. Like others have mentioned, you've really got to try one before settling on it.
  9. i would go for a stock EBMM3 electronics, IMHO they're the best sounding if your going for that authentic music man sound.

and i too have been looking at getting one of these, hell for the price you cant beat it.

and to the origional poster of this thread, a note on going to 5 string. It may seem for the first month or so that you just cant get the hang of the low b string, trust me, its a switch that isnt immidiately comfortable. i even thought about taking my spector back for a solid two months, now i love it, i can still rip on a 4 string, and 5 strings feel just as comfortable.
  10. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Yeah, that's really the only thing I don't like about it, strictly cosmetically speaking of course.

I've been trying to think up ways to carve the headstock into a better looking one, in case they happen to ship out that way.
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm just going to wait until I can find a real MM neck and put it on the SX; if I go that route. I may trade me '73 P-bass for an 80's 'Ray.
  12. From the nut down it looks primo. But looking at the headstock, my eyes start bleeding.
  13. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got a OLP MM3, I'm trying to get rid of it, but that by no means makes it a crappy bass, I just have really bad GAS for a Ric. Anyway, the B string is pretty good, about what I expected, some new electronics could really make it sing, but it's just not worth it for me to do that (considering I have my flea) For the price it's definantly a good deal, but don't expect a musicman.
  14. 0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I bought a MM3 just recently. I'm just getting back into playing after a 5 year hiatus. My last bass before I sold all my gear was a MM Stingray5. Didn't want to plunk down the money for a Stingray not knowing if I was going to enjoy playing again.

I got it from musicainsfriend.com. It was set up horribly, and the nut was cut by a blind chinaman it appears. After about 2 hours of working on the bass first, it played extremely well for a $200 instrument. It pretty much sounds like a stingray believe it or not.

I'm sure I'll end up getting another stingray5 as the OLP is a relatively close fascimile, but obviously still just a knock-off. If you do buy one, and you don't know how to set up a bass, I highly recommend you take it to someone and have it set up. It will make the difference between a crappy playing china bass, and something that really isn't half bad.

If you don't want to spend a ton on a 5 string, and you like the sound of a stingray, then the OLP would be a good choice. Just set it up correctly before you play it.
  15. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    There is one in the classifieds that looks pretty good for $180 or so.

Help out a fellow TBer and buy it. If you don't like it afterward, sell it for $200 and laugh maniacally.
  16. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Hey sounds kewl, thanks guys i think i will buy it when my birthday comes around!

Im not really favouring that natural colour, but i love that cherry burst, has anyone seen it in real life?

And what bridges can i replace that with? WOuld a standard stingray 5 bridge work?
  17. An original Ernie Ball bridge would be your best bet as far as keeping it traditional. Not sure if the screw patterns match though. For mine, I'm looking for a Schaller/Wilkinson-ish heavy style bridge with adjustable string spacing, so I can widen it a little. I think you'll be real happy with your MM3. I know i am. Good luck.
  18. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm buying a used MM3 on Monday, anything special I should look out for?
  19. Just bought the Rockshop's last MM3 today (they shipped it up from Napier). It's pretty nice! I don't know if all of them behave the same, but mine certainly beats my Squier P-Bass Special by a long shot! Tone is great, had a good jam in the shop with a Mesa amp over the last couple of days. I read on another post a guy was using an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head with a 4x10" cab with one of these and he reckoned it sounded like total crap though. Hopefully I'll have a go on my friend's new SVT-4 Pro sometime and see for myself... :)

As for the neck, it feels pretty much the same as my Squier I've been playing for nearly 3 years... Except for the fact that I'm changing from a 4 string to a 5 string. But the curve doesn't feel like a real Stingray (but I've only played 4 string MM Stingrays before).

Pickups are great, sound quite close to a real MM pickup (but remember its still not a real one). In the shop it buzzed a bit when I turned one of the pickup volumes down, but that's typical because of shops having close fluoroescent lights. Once I got it home I had no buzzes. Funny thing is that I got the idea it wasn't grounded properly either, so I opened it up and sure enough, the ground to the bridge had come adrift. It made no noticeable difference on the amp I'm using, but I'm sure if I didn't fix it then I would've had issues at some point.

But yeah, I got this bass with the intention of using it for a couple of years while I finish off my music degree, because my Squier really just couldn't cut it. The MM3 has a great feel, and much better sound than my old bass. As someone mentioned, it did need a bit of work at first, although mine was in pretty good order. Other than the ground wire being disconnected I just needed to raise the A-string a little, as the lower F# was a bit nasty. I'll probably get around to changing the strings sometime too, they're a bit 'punky' for my liking. But after applying some FastFret I was a happy man. :)

My intention is to get a 4-string MM Stingray custom made in about 2 and a half years time, and then I'll still have this if I ever need a 5-string.
  20. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    This is why the one I tried a few days ago was so good for the price, and I'm used to play on 1000$ bass most of the time.