1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP MM32 pickup cut out promblem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meatrus, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Hi all,

My first thread, but long time reader :) I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem on my OLP MM32 bass.

The problem is the bridge pickup, when playing aggressively or playing slap bass it has a habit of intermittently cutting out almost completely (you can still hear very faint sound getting through). I sent it off to a repair guy who annoyingly couldn't help because he couldn't recreate the fault. When I got it back I decided to have a look myself (despite knowing nothing of bass pickups!). So I took the pickup out and wiggled the wires at the back of it while playing a few notes and this recreated the fault, so I'm guessing its the wires going into the back of the pickup. So my questions are as follows (please forgive my complete lack of knowledge on such subjects).

Can these wires be wired back into the pickup to fix the possible loose connection? And would this be an easy job. Or is it likely the pickup is damaged inside? Also what are those wires called? Or is it possible it is nothing to do with the wires and is a problem further in?

My plan is, if it is a complicated procedure to fix is to find as much info out so I can then tell the repair guy, as he seems like he cant be bothered to find it out himself, but I wouldn't mind having ago at fixing it myself if at all possible.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for any help.

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    what you're describing (intermittent cutting out) is very hard to diagnose over the internet, so if i were you i would take a few pictures and post them so we can see what you mean.
    if i understand you correctly, yes you can just re-solder the wires to the contact points.

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. I understand it can be hard to diagnose, but any help would be appreciated.

I have attached a couple of pictures, the wire I mentioned before is the one in the picture, I cant see any contact points as it looks like it is sealed with rubbery stuff. Also it might be worth mentioning it sometimes cuts out when you press down on the pickup.

Let me know any thoughts you may have.

Thank you again, Robin

Attached Files:

4. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    ok, i completely forgot that OLP pretty much seals their pickups with industrial strength hot glue, which is bad news for you. either the wires themselves have split while still in their insulation, or (most likely) the contacts on the pickup itself (beneath all the glue, windings, and magnets) have come apart. in either case, there's not much you can do short of just replacing the pickup. i've tried taking apart those OLP pickups before, and i gave up in fear of cracking the plastic casing. the only way to fix it would be to first remove all the hot glue, and i would be wary of trying to remove it chemically since that'd probably take the wax off of the pickup windings.
    not the news you wanted to hear, i'm sure, but it's all i can think of at the moment.

5. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Hi,

Thank you, that definitely isn't the news I was hoping for! But I cant say I didn't expect it after seeing it when first looking.

On a separate note, do you thing in the future the bass might increase in value (I'm talking at least 10 years)? As I know they stopped making them, and also I think my model was the top of the range. If it might increase in value I imagine replacing the faulty pickup with an upgraded pickup would knock off potential value in the future. Or am being too hopeful about it increasing in value in the first place?

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it,
    Robin

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I could be wrong, but I don't see those as skyrocketing in value. I replaced the pickup in my brother's OLP with a nordstrand and it's night and day soundwise. I would replace it and definitely keep the old pickup. A) for the reason you mentioned or the more likely b) to mess around with.

7. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Ok thanks, I'm not sure how many MM32s they made, its obviously going to be quite a lot but surely not as many as the cheaper models (the MM32 was £320 here in the UK).

Do you know of any other pickups that would fit? I hear the Basslines are supposed to be good, I quite like the idea of an active EMG also. Would it be possible to keep the stock neck pickup with the new bridge one? I know it would probably be possible, but would I have to replace both to have it sounding any good? I Don't mind the sound of the neck pickup by itself, but would mixing it with the stock neck sound bad?

PS. Just notice the horrible typo on my thread Promblem.....lol sorry all.

Robin