OLP musicman 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FooBass, Aug 26, 2004.

1. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    What do you guys think of this bass:

Now, I already have a musicman s.u.b but I want to get this bass because I want to be able to use a 5 string too...I am very poor right now and I want a 5 string with a punchy sound and this is what I found. If any one owns one of these or has used one could you give me your pros and cons on it thanks... ;)
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just picked one up at Sam Ash on Friday - mine's a natural with Maple board. The body is Elm (!). I wanted a cheap bass to try out fivers, and it seemed like the best bang for the buck.

I haven't had much time to spend with it yet - I've been really busy at work. Besides, it has ^#%$@ roundwounds, which I hate - I need to find a set of flats. But, what I've seen so far I like. The B isn't flabby at all IMO, and the tone ain't too bad at all for a $209 bass. Construction quality is pretty damn good, as a matter of fact - much nicer than the Squiers and Carlo Robellis I saw in the same price range.

I'm thinking I'll change out the pots at some point and rewire it with better quality stuff. I'll probably add a three position coil switch at the same time, and run switch-vol-tone instead of vol-vol-tone. It's quite playable right now, though - I just like tinkering. I may even add a P-retro if I'm up to routing for a battery box.

We'll see how the neck holds up to the high tension flats I prefer, but for the price...

By the way, SamAsh.com had it for $209 with free shipping. I decided to get it at the store instead so I could play it first. Same price, but I had to pay tax, too. This one was much better playing and nicer sounding than the black/rosewood one they had.
  3. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    For the cash, I think the OLP 5s are great. They feel fine and I dig the looks of the black with marble grey pickguard. If I don't luck up on a MIM Fender J IV on the cheap sometime soon, I just might go with an OLP and maybe slide a couple of little upgrades here and there (I'm a tinkerer too).

My only tiff with MM style basses is the limited tonal range. A simple, passive J style bass will give you more range and upgrades require little fuss as J pickups are fairly universal. I keep going back and fourth on this issue. Still, the OLP 5 are one heck of a deal, no doubt.

4. DanFoster

Aug 29, 2004
    today i went to sam ash to look at the GSR200...as i was playing it a guy who worked there pointed out that for the same price i could get a fiver. he showed me the OLP 5. played with it for a bit, sounds great, great slaps. Just brought it home and guess what! my friend still has my amp :(
  5. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    fantastic bass for the money IMO. Played one last week at GC and loved it....for $220 its a steal.