1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP musicman 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FooBass, Aug 26, 2004.

1. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    What do you guys think of this bass:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/516051/

Now, I already have a musicman s.u.b but I want to get this bass because I want to be able to use a 5 string too...I am very poor right now and I want a 5 string with a punchy sound and this is what I found. If any one owns one of these or has used one could you give me your pros and cons on it thanks... ;)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just picked one up at Sam Ash on Friday - mine's a natural with Maple board. The body is Elm (!). I wanted a cheap bass to try out fivers, and it seemed like the best bang for the buck.

I haven't had much time to spend with it yet - I've been really busy at work. Besides, it has ^#%$@ roundwounds, which I hate - I need to find a set of flats. But, what I've seen so far I like. The B isn't flabby at all IMO, and the tone ain't too bad at all for a $209 bass. Construction quality is pretty damn good, as a matter of fact - much nicer than the Squiers and Carlo Robellis I saw in the same price range.

I'm thinking I'll change out the pots at some point and rewire it with better quality stuff. I'll probably add a three position coil switch at the same time, and run switch-vol-tone instead of vol-vol-tone. It's quite playable right now, though - I just like tinkering. I may even add a P-retro if I'm up to routing for a battery box.

We'll see how the neck holds up to the high tension flats I prefer, but for the price...

By the way, SamAsh.com had it for $209 with free shipping. I decided to get it at the store instead so I could play it first. Same price, but I had to pay tax, too. This one was much better playing and nicer sounding than the black/rosewood one they had.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    For the cash, I think the OLP 5s are great. They feel fine and I dig the looks of the black with marble grey pickguard. If I don't luck up on a MIM Fender J IV on the cheap sometime soon, I just might go with an OLP and maybe slide a couple of little upgrades here and there (I'm a tinkerer too).

My only tiff with MM style basses is the limited tonal range. A simple, passive J style bass will give you more range and upgrades require little fuss as J pickups are fairly universal. I keep going back and fourth on this issue. Still, the OLP 5 are one heck of a deal, no doubt.

r

4. DanFoster

DanFoster

Aug 29, 2004
    today i went to sam ash to look at the GSR200...as i was playing it a guy who worked there pointed out that for the same price i could get a fiver. he showed me the OLP 5. played with it for a bit, sounds great, great slaps. Just brought it home and guess what! my friend still has my amp :(

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    fantastic bass for the money IMO. Played one last week at GC and loved it....for $220 its a steal.