1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP Musicman Bass Info.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattmuffler, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mattmuffler

mattmuffler

Jan 3, 2006
    Howzit all. hey im an intermediate bass player trying to get better. i am also looking for a bass guitar to buy. I have been recomended to buy an OLP Musicman. can anyone tell me what these basses are like, and wether it would be worth buying one for the level that im at. If not can you please reccomend one if possible. thanx heaps.

2. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I remember when i was in those shoes. (Im still a mediocre player, but I mean trying to figure out what to buy). I'll tell you what was told to me. Its a bass players job to take a piece a wood and some strings and make it sing. And your a good bass player when you can do that. So to that point you can play an OLP (or an SX, cause everyone is going to chime in and recomend them) and make it sound good. But the reality is the more you learn about basses the more you will realize why its a cheap bass. My bass mentor told me to save up and invest in something good. that way you will have something you can grow into. I personally did the opposite because his idea of something good started at an MIA jazz. I didnt think I could justify paying 1000+ on a bass. I bought cheap basses here and there which totaled up to 1000+. Then I eneded up getting an MIA jazz 5 deluxe. cause I wanted something profeesional level. Then went on to get a Ken Smith ( my dream bass). Lately Ive been gassing for a MusicMan but again, didnt want to pay Music man money. So instead I bought a OLP mm 4. You have to really watch out for those because alot of them are crap and some of them sound pretty good. The one I got sounded and felt the best of all that I tried. After playing it for a few days I decided Im going to take it back and do what I knew I should have done in the first place..... put some dough aside and get a real MM. My point is if you really cant afford more go for it! just take your time and shop around for the right one. IF can, try to find a used SUB for a few hundred more. if your not married to the MM configuration look at an MIM fender. As time goes on you will see why cheap basses are cheap basses.

Sorry for the long post just saying whats on my mind seeing as to how I just bought one of those.

3. mattmuffler

mattmuffler

Jan 3, 2006
    sweet as bro. So you would reccomend saving up to buy an MIM Fender? What kind of price range is that? i could probably go to bout $1000 ay. but not too much higher than that. Anything in that range that would be a good buy?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My friend had the OLP MM and a tuner broke off. If you want something cheap, Ibaniz makes great and value priced basses. Or save up for a Fender P or J, which are great for players who don't want to dish out a ton of $. They go for about $350-450 (I think) US for a MIM.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You could go up to $1000 and you're looking at a $300 Music Man copy? Why not go all the way and get the actual Music Man used for about $800?

I've played OLP's when I was mediocre and felt it held me back. At the same time I had an actual Stingray 4 and it was a very solid instrument, and I miss her to this day.

6. +1

Used to have an OLP, found a good deal on a stingray, bought it, traded the OLP for something nicer...

They are a little hit and miss, mine was a good one, and it still didnt come close to the real thing. (only really realised that after buying the Stingray.)

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    +2

I bought the bass in this thread yesterday for $899:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244126

So, a used MusicMan, or a new MusicMan SUB ... both under $1000 and both better than the OLP.

My disclaimer: I own two MusicMan 5 strings, but my sole experience with OLP and MusicMan SUB basses is playing them in stores. Just want ot be honest about that!!

Good Luck,
    Liam

8. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX

+3

9. mattmuffler

mattmuffler

Jan 3, 2006
    Sweet as thanx heaps.

10. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    If you don't want to spend quite that much on a Stingray, look at the Musicman SUB line up. I played a couple this weekend and was impressed.

11. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    paint your hardware and pickguard flat black...and voila! a beautiful AFFORDABLE bass.

12. You just cant go wrong spending too much on bass gear. Maybe go hungry, or homeless, but not wrong. I'll never regret writing a check that I knew was going to blow a hole in my overdraft protection to pickup a killer deal on a Mesa Boogie Bass 400. It is always loud enough, and toneful enough. I went thru 10 amps before I got that one, and that was 10 years ago! I will always regret all the half baked peaveys and Epiphones and such I bought. Good enough is not good enough!

13. Groovin' Base

Groovin' Base

Apr 19, 2006
    I've been dying to get my hands on an OLP Tony Levin signature. I read good things about it. It looks killer as well. I've never seen one though.

I think for the money, they are nice basses. If you're a beginner, it feels good, and can't afford the real thing, why not? If you don't value the small... :)

14. Groovin' Base

Groovin' Base

Apr 19, 2006
    PS: I heard quality of OLPs vary very much from bass to bass. You have to have a bit of luck or snoop around some more to get a good one, I guess.

15. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    +1 I Just sold my MM3 on ebay after having it for 3 months and never playing it.... I bought it off ebay for $279AUD and I gotta say if you want one make sure you play it first because my action, electronics and general setup were awful...... This was all after a pro setup and a new set of strings as well.....

There probably are good ones out there but like everyone said watch out.....