OLP pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Mar 4, 2002.

1. I just put the Seymour Duncan Alnico ll MM pup into my new OLP Stingray. Excellent upgrade. I got the bass for $229 and with this modification, I now have a really nice sounding, looking, feeling bass. I got the pup, two pots and a shematic from Black Rose Customs for $83 including postage. This guy John is your best bet for advice and price on after market pups. I'll save up some money and go for the SD MM tone circuit and turn this mutha active.
  2. Hey Rick--I've met John in person before and he is a really cool guy. His prices on the stuff he sells are really good too. I think he's a registered member of TB as well.
  3. He does indulge in TB. Hi John! Thanks for hooking me up. This thing sounds great.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More suited for the "Pickups" Forum.

5. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR

Yes, I lurk here once in a while. Not as much as I would like to, but time seems to be at a premium lately!!

Glad to hear the wiring got all squared away and you are happy with the tone. I will try to get your knobs shipped out tomorrow!!

6. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Please tell me what "OLP" stands for.thanks.
  7. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    "Officially Licensed Product"
    It's just the brand name of this company's product line (no different from "Cort" or "Ibanez" or "Jay Turser", etc...)

The company, which I believe is based in China, worked out an arrangement with Ernie Ball to use some of their classic "Music Man" body & headstock styles in their guitars & basses. This has caused much debate and misunderstanding that "OLP" basses are actually a product of Ernie Ball in the same way the "Squire" brand is owned by Fender. THIS IS NOT THE CASE however with OLP. There is no affiliation with Ernie Ball other than the agreement that the two companies made which allows this company to copy the "looks". From what I've seen, they are similar in contruction (and price) to the "Jay Turser" Stingray copies that are out there.

Hope that helps.

- Frank.
  8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Hey rick Martin
    Describe a bit more how it sounds with the new P/u. I'm really curious.
  9. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I feel a little less ignorant now.
  10. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Anytime, Jim.

It's just what we do here at TB...
    "Bassists coming together to help other bassists" ;)

- Frank.
  11. It has sort of a barking sound. The stock pup had sort of an electro fart/bark. This SD pup has less fart and more bark. I don't know how else to desribe it. It definitely sounds different than my P or J basses.