OLP Rawks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublestop, Apr 12, 2003.

1. I tried out an OLP 5 stringer today and I liked it a lot! Remember, I'm a guitar player, and a bass-novice. But man I liked that bass. Way better than the Squiers I tried, and (call me a fool) I preferred the sound to the more expensive MTD Heir. And it had a real tight B string. Guess I'll go back next week and buy that OLP motherf@cker. :bassist:
  2. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    you lucked out. I played about 10 OLP Stingrays and didn't find a single one I was happy with. I ended up getting a used Sterling from a guy here on Talkbass, but it was still more than I would have paid for the OLP and a replacement pickup.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    If you like that one, than make sure you buy that same one you played before. The QC on those basses is generally bad, IMO, so many of them are not that good. I would believe that some are good, but I would make sure you know it is a good one before you buy, or you regret it later.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for what it's worth, i bought an OLP MM4 guitar from musicians friend sight unseen and am very happy with it. guess i'm lucky ;)
  6. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i owned an olp mm and found out it has a slight geometry problem,thew headstock angle is off a little bit so i had to lower the string ferrel (guide) to fix it,the problem is that there was a slight buzz between the tuner and nut,this is a common problem on this bass so be careful how you choose your new purchase(listen for the buzz)i fixed it by grinding down the ferrel height to change the contact angle at the nut
    good luck:bassist:
  7. Thanks for the hint.

8. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    If you want a MM style Bass and don't want to gamble with the OLP quality, you can always check out a used G&L 1505 or Climax Bass. IMHO, the G&L's sound better than EBs and can be had on the second hand market for about $500-600.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've tried about 4 of them. The 2 4 strings I tried were decent, but the 5's, weren't that good.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I played an OLP 5 at GC a month or so ago, and I loved it... then again, I was playing through a Mesa 6x10 with some 500w head... so that would make anything sound good...
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've only tried one OLP five string. I liked it a lot! If you find onw you like I say jump all over it.
  12. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just picked one of the 4 strings this weekend, and have already replaced the tuners... It sounds pretty cool, and the neck has a good fretjob and feels good. I am getting ready to order the Basslines MM replacement system for it, and we'll see about the sound after that. Right now, the sound is not too bad. A little lacking, maybe, but for the price and what you are getting, it's hard to not like it... I am just afraid that it may make me jones for a real stingray even more!

13. Picked up an OLP 4 for my son. Tried all the similar priced stuff; Ibanez, Yamaha, et al. The OLP does rock! Setup and playability where PERFECT right of the shelf. Very nice bass for the $$. Plays as nice as the real deal!