OLP should make a Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Does anybody else think that this is a good idea? I sure do. I'd love a Rickenbacker, but there is no way that I'm going to be able to afford one any time soon. And by any time soon, I mean ever. I know that Ric has really tight copyrights set up on their merchandise, but this is why OLP would be so great. Since they're official, Rickenbacker would still be making money off the deal, and I know that it would be profitable for them. I'm sure that there are thousands of others like myself that can't afford a Ric, and this would give us a chance to get one for way less than the $1400 or so that a new one costs, or even the $700 that an abused one will fetch on Ebay. I know that there are the old lawsuit-era Ibanez Ric clones, but they're getting really hard to find.

Here's what I'm thinking: we would probably have to give up the neck through design (too expensive and difficult to manufacture) and the hideous triangle inlays. Keep the maple design and the electronics setup. I would imagine that even after the presumably expensive pickups, the bass would cost well under $400. Who else is with me?
  2. $1400 for a new Ric? You be lookin' in the wrong places yo.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yep. I'm pretty sure they are under 1100 on Musiciansfriend.com

Rickenbacker wouldn't hear of it. They remove Ebay ads of the illegal copies that feature the word Rickenbacker in them. Or so I've heard.
  4. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    As long as John Hall owns the company, that isn't going to happen.
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rickenbacker would never, EVER go for this.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Rics are usually about $999 new, I think.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just thought I'd share that.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

This whole concept horrifies me. :eyebrow: :bag:

Sure, Rics are pricey, but they are expensive because they are high quality, and have neck-through construction, which is an important part of the Ric "sound". OLP could make a bass that LOOKS like a Ric (though they'd be sued), and even SOUNDS a little like a Ric, but it wouldn't be a Rickenbacker. It just wouldn't. :rollno: That's why I won't sell mine; there's no substitute.

Save up, buy one in decent condition used. :cool:

SAY WHAT??? The inlays are part of the Ric look that's classic retro. Bite your tongue! :D
  9. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Fixed it for ya.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    have you seen the 4001? it was the prev model of the 4003 and it had NO TRIANGLE INLAYS and it stills looking retro, sounds ric'y (but you cant use rounds on them :( ).
  11. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    This is NEVER going to happen !! You want a Ric, you buy a Ric - period !! :bassist:
  12. Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    sandberg (german company - great basses) made a limited edition rick
    check out http://www.music-shop-kassel.de/bass.htm and scroll down a bit

ok they only have the ric-bodydesign and dont are like copies but they rock :bassist:
  13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Unless you're Lemmy. :D
  14. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

The Rickenbacker 4001 came standard with triangle inlays.
    [​IMG]This is a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 in Jetglo

Some English bloke with his 1964 Ricky 4001S
    I guess that you're confused with the Rickenbacker 4001S which was a "Budget" version of the 4001 which differed by having no body binding, dot markers instead of triangle inlays and having standard mono ouputs instead of stereo ouputs
  15. I think I remember reading somewhere that Rickenbacker will never come out with a "budget line". A Ric will cost just under a grand if you go to places such as Ricpage.
    What's funny about the Sandberg Ric basses is that that here in Germany they are a couple hundred euros cheaper than the orginal. Yet, if you order a real Ric from the US it is still cheaper than getting a Sandberg "copy".
  16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    LOL!!!! I saw it in a ric date web where there where all the ric models i might have got confused with some other 40xx or 30xx pardon me.
  17. Yum, Blazer, nice bass - feel some G.A.S coming on again.....

Way I see it:

The bassists who have saved up enough money, or worked their arse off to afford a quality, beautiful instrument should deserve not to have their piece copied and flogged off for $99.99.

In the OLP world, it wouldn't be long before Conklins and Drozds are copied (in birdseye chipboard) for the beginner market. :rollno:

There's a thread running about POS instruments that players have owned - have a read, it shows that you "graduate' to a decent instrument. My $0.02 worth says that if you want a Ricky, you pay for one. Until then, play a Samick and save up.
  18. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    why would OLP make a rickenbacker to begin with even if Ric would allow it? their two completely different companies! Thats like asking fender to make a low end spector line. If anything they would make their own low end line.
  19. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Uh, Broach, OLP is strictly in the buisiness of building knock-offs, and they DO make a low end Spector line, as well as MusicMan knockoffs.;)