Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP-Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 3, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

debuted at NAMM!!!

2. oooooooooooooohhh!

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't quite get what you guys are so excited about..it just looks like a standard performace series spector with a an OLP headstock logo??:confused: If ya wanna get excited go look at teh USA neckthough models..:D

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If they are as half as bad as the Ernie Ball OLP's, I'll pass.

6. I'm with Parkedhonda on this one.

7. I'm more attracted by the price tag than what it says on the headstock.:p

8. What's next ? OLP Monarch Elite ?

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    is it neck through?
    and are those actually hz-emgs?
    i might go for it.

steve

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I wouldn't use it to paddle a life raft off a sinking ship.

It REALLY ticks me off when very classy builders whore themselves out for a buck...

did Stuart really need to (again) undercut his instruments with knockoffs? no.

sad days in woodstock.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    "did Stuart really need to (again) undercut his instruments with knockoffs? no."
    Unless you personally know Stuart Spector, you don't really know whether this is true. Luthiery as a business is often marginally profitable, if at all. You might read David King's description of how much work goes into a bass, and how the dollars-per-hour comes out to when you figure it all in. I am not saying that I know SS's financial situation either. But, given the possible choice between a) a high-end luthier stops making basses because it's not worth it anymore, and b) a high-end luthier licenses out his design to make affordable import copies, and this supports the high-end business, I'd chose the latter every time.
    Again, I am not saying that I know SS's business. This is just conjecture, as was funkyebk's original comment.

12. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    nor make it sound like I'm Stuart's accountant.

I'm the last guy on these boards to poo poo anyone making good money from anything they do... I'm a capitalist if nothing else...

but

my complaint is with how knock off instruments dilute the credibility of a builders work...

it may not seem like much- but I see the whole deal as a slippery slope- and Spector is a wonderful example: (kramer era evils excluded)

Spector has no less than 5 lines of instruments now:
    American made NT's
    American made BO's
    European Series
    Korean Professional series
    and the southeast asian Performance series...

Now at a $200 price point will be OLP knockoffs-

This is purely an egotistical thing on my part... but as a former owner of a USA spector It really annoyed me when someone bragged about owning a spector that didn't roll out of the Woodstock workshop... and here's why: someone who didn't know a USA NT from a Korean BO plays the import and thinks "Spector's Crap" (I'm not saying it is... just follow me) then applies that experiance with ALL basses with the spector nameplate... enough uninformed players devlop this opinion and the harder it is to place true value on the "real" spector instruments... therefore devaluing the entire market, new and used for the makers instruments...

no offense intended, and I applaud any builder that does what he needs to produce instruments that he feels the market needs.

13. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Since these cheaper versions are targeted to beginners, isn't it smart for these companies to offer them?

Once they learn to play and understand the instruments they can look into the better basses.

Kinda like a brand loyalty thing.

"I learned to play on this cheap spector, now I've grown as a player and need a better instrument. Since I like my current bass, maybe the real spectors are worth looking into."

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I agree with Mazinger. I don't think it will do much reputation damage. I don't think Michael Tobias is hurt by the Toby Pros, and American Fenders are still considered good instruments, despite MIMs and Squiers.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agrees with previous posts.

I play a Korean BO Q5, and it is a quality instrument, and very good in its price range. I have played the euro, but not USA basses (haven't seenone in the local shops) and odds are that I will get one or the other when I upgrade a year or two down the road.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    COUGH* SELLOUT*COUGH COUGH....