OLP Sting Ray or Fender Standard Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John K., Dec 12, 2001.

1. Ok, for Christmas, I want to get a bass. And I'm torn between the two. I play alot of punk stuff and alot of slap stuff (cause its fun). Which has a better "growly" sound and which has better build quality?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    *Darth Vader voice*
    Luuuuuuke, get the Fender Luuuuuuuuuke!
    *Darth voice off*
    Sorry, that's my best Darth Vader
  3. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    I don't own either of them myself, but I have heard (on this forum more than anywhere else) that a Stingray in particular is pretty mean when it comes to slap - Flea used one for most of BloodSugarSexMagik I'm told!

It might just be the Fender Jazz, but I was under the impression that most Fenders were hard to play to start off with, but gave a great sound once you got the hang of them.

So I wouldn't like to decide which is best for YOU, but as massive funk man (can't play anything, mind!) I'd go for the Stingray.

Nevertheless, both a are cool basses, so enjoy - and make sure you tell us which you get!

- Funk Warts AKA Jon
  4. FW, he's talking about the OLP Stingray, which is NOT the American made Ernie Ball Music Man product.

I'd say get the Fender, as I'm not too crazy about the OLP's, but if you have the opportunity, try both and see which one speaks to you.
  5. go for the Fender!

aren't punk bands supposed to look grungy and cheap?...a Fender jazz has a very humble look and great tone...a Stingray is great, but a real "punk" can't afford a boutique bass like that...IMHO:D
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I think the Standard Jazz is more expensive than the OLP Stingray. I agree with those that say go for the Fender.
  7. I'd get the OLP. I thought it was much better sounding and playing than a MM Fender. I guess there are those who would rather have the Fender name, but as an ex-Fender owner, I see no great benefit in nostalgia.

In fact, if I was looking for a bass for under $400, this is the only bass I'd consider.

my 2c

8. No Brainer, get the jazz bass. Those OLPs arent worth it unless you wanna take them apart and rebuild IMO. I had to do that with mine, but those MIM Jazzes I assume you are talking about are put together well, especially the 2001 models. As for a growly sound, well, the jazz bass. I also love the jazz bass slap tone. It's a true classic. I'd get it, no questions.

9. Well i've had a Fender.. and i've played the OLP a lot.. i'd say go for the OLP.. sounds and plays a lot better imo :)
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    no match: get the fender!
  11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I say get the OLP, or try one of the turser rays.
  12. Having played both, and having had this discussion with SMASH before, I have to agree with the "go for the fender" crowd. Sure, you can get the OLP and spend a couple hundred bucks upgrading it until its got the same electronics (or nearly) as the MM Stingray, but thats around $500 which is if you were careful just slightly less then what you might be able to find a used Stingray (on ebay, I've seen them going for around $700). Its hardly worth it, since you're still stuck with a cheap neck, and a cheap body (albeit, basswood isn't really that bad..). The fender on the other hand is definately more growly, and will cut better then any OLP ever could, they tend to just sound muddled.. even with that pickup placement. Just my .02 but I wouldn't consider the OLP unless you REALLY need to look like you own a stingray.. then I would suggest not buying any bass, because thats the wrong reason to do it :D
  13. have any of you tried the 2001 Standard Jazz w/ the updated specs? Is it really much different from the earlier models?
  14. I'd say their worth it, since they use the offset size pickups to eliminate hum, like on the MIA's, when the pickups are both set to the same volume. :D Quality went up a bit in the Mexico plant this past year overall, it looks like, too.
  15. I heard the pups are just different sizes, and not hum cancelling. THe OLP is not active, which IMO is where most of the signature 'ray sound comes from. Id get the jazz, I have one, and havent upgraded it at all until recently (getting pups for xmas) but Im happy with it stock, it isnt that bad, just mellow. Figure for an extra $70 you can get the MIA jazz pups, or for $109 you can get the custom shop pups.

Plus there is more variety in the jazz, and it looks cooler. And has a better retail value.

AND I SAID SO! :p
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've heard many times that the MIM Jazz bass pickups aren't wired to be hum cancelling. Mine were hum cancelling on my circa 1995 MIM Jazz bass. And they sounded fine, too. I replaced them, but the money was wasted because the Seymour Duncan basslines didn't sound better, just different. :) And both sets of pickups sounded fine.
  17. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I started out on a fender, I didn't have a problem.

I have been searching for a punk bass for a long time and I have to admit a MIM Fender Jazz is THE punk bass IMO. I love the tone of this thing.

Also, I haven't tried an OLP (because they don't have a lefty version :mad: ), but it can't be anywhere as good as a REAL stingray. However, the MIM Fender Jazz ranks up there with the MIA, it is a steal of a deal.

My suggestion is to get the MIM Fender Jazz now, then get a real MM Stingray when you get the money for it later on down the road. Trust me, you will want to get the Ray and getting the OLP and then the Ray will just be baaaaaddd.

Get the Jazz, then the real MM Ray in the future, that's the best way to go man.
  18. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Hey, I played a MIM Jazz and a MIM P-Bass when I was in a punk band called Feeble which featured Travis Barker on Drums.How's that for an endorsement. I actually bought the P-Bass from my friend Anthony who is playing bass in Travis's new band "The Kill".Besides all that, the MIM Fenders are proven. They 've been around a long time and are a good bass for the money. OLP quality remains to be seen.
  19. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Heres what I would do:

Get the Fender Standard Jazz now, and in 2 years if you still want a stingray, get a real Musicman.

Hey washburn26, I have a funnier quote for your signature:

"School is practice for life, and practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, so why practice?"

Billie Joe Armstrong
  20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This shouldn't even be a question!!! Fender!!!!