OLP Stingray 4 and 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I know there is probably alot of discussion about these. I know they won't be as good as the origionals. I just want to know, are they worth it. And if so, should I get the 4 or 5.

2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Never played an OLP, but I've heard the 4 is better than the 5. Did you do a search?
  3. From all I've heard about the OLP 'Ray, the 4 is good for the money. The 5 has a floppy B and isn't all that great.

And you're right, there is really no comparison to E-B MM 'Ray.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a Stingray 5 and when the OLP's first came out in UK I tried one.

IMHO and on limited experience ie the one I played, the problem is the sound. It played ok, the B was not floppy again IMHO. The OLP 5's have passive tones for each coil of the pickup. It didnt sound bad but it didnt have that "bottom and top" sound that mine has.

If you factor in adding actives and maybe changing the pup it gets expensive. Try one and try a MIM deluxe Jazz as well.
  5. Does anyone know if OLP have left handed versions of any of their basses?
  6. I've played a bunch of these, the OLP 4 was really good for the price. The OLP 5 was okay, but every one I played (about 5-6 of them) the B was really really really floppy.
  7. I used to a own a four, and slapped a decent pup and pre-amp (pre-used from a EB Stingray) and it sounded okay. I sold it on, within about a month, but it played great for such a cheap bass, and was way better than say a Squire Precision!! If you are on a budget and can only afford a cheap bass, or are just looking for a cheap one, I would say it makes a good "project bass" for defretting or modyfying. Though, they are no comparison to EBs in quality or finish. And yes, those 5s are bad, the spacing seems wrong as well as a truly appalling B.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok...i think im gonna go for the 4 stringer...now....black or blue???