Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

olp stingray clone or tm stevens cort funk machine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoneroses, Mar 19, 2004.

1. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    thinking of getting a new bass

here's the deal
    choice 1:
    OLP MM2
    I originally intended to get the OLP cheap and then change the pickup
    this would mean great savings over getting a real musicman stingray.nothing beats the real thing,but i don't intended to spend too much
    http://www.olpguitars.com/intl/mm2_4_string_bass.htm

choice 2:
    TM stevens funk machine
    i always adored this bass for its looks and the promise of big sound.maple neck,bartolini pickups
    funk wah circuitry
    plus someone's letting this go 2nd hand,in mint condition no less!
    http://www.cort.com/endorse/stevens/

choice 3:
    Fender JB-45
    When all else fails,there's always a fender to fall back on.
    a japanese made one going cheap locally
    http://www.luthermusic.com/cgi-bin/WB_ItemPageGen.pl?t=1079703089&Pid=103&Gid=2080000

2. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    I assume you are in the U.S.? If so, that Fender Jazz doesn't look so cheap. You can dig up a used but near-mint U.S. one for that price.

If you buy the Cort, you don't have to dress up like that T.M. dude do you? How much is the Cort? From your descriptions, you seem to like that one the best.

I like the OLP. As many will point out on this board, however, it is not a Stingray, even with a different pickup. It's passive. But mine plays and sounds nice and I only had to pay like $156 shipped off eBay for a used minty one. You could get four of them for the price of the Jazz and have a few bucks left over.

3. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    I'm from the far east.
    the fender jazz is quoted in singapore dollars,so divide that by 1.7 i think.I reckon that'll be affordable.

just as i'm honing my bass skills,i'm also slowly working my way up the bass instrument ladder.i think this 3 choices would be good selections for my budget.perhaps you could name me a few more?

the guy selling the cort hasn't responded to me .i think i should be expecting it to cost $500.That's used of course.

For the stingray,do you think it be wise to switch to that(plus the pickup upgrade) from my cort gb64?
    hmm,wouldn't know if its an upgrade.my gb64's probably costs more, has active mightymite alnico pickups.decent sounding too.
    but i've recently picked up the slap technique(yeap i'm a beginner) and am so fixated with the infinite possibilities a slap can produce.That's why i though the OLP would be a good step up,after reading some about its slap tone.

4. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Well I don't know anything about the Cort you are playing now, so I can't say whether the OLP would be "better" or not.

But the OLP has relatively wide string spacing and should be good for slap. I didn't switch out the pickup in mine, I think it sounds fine, although I know some people do switch 'em out. The Jazz also would be good for slapping, and I can only assume a bass called "The Funk Machine" is designed for slapping, so any of these should do you fine. I would therefore probably buy the cheapest one unless the deals on the Jazz or Cort are killer deals you won't see again.

5. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    I have owned a couple of olp's, and they are great for slapping. One word of caution, play the one you are going to buy. The quality varies. If you have to order on line, be sure they have a return policy. I have seen some that have trouble with the g string. Odds are you will get one without these issues, and a sweet bass to boot.

Enjoy!

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Is the Funk Machine the FM1 or FM2? Even though the FM2 is supposed to be the "lesser of the two, I'd prefer it if, for no other reason than the fact that it doesn't have that embarrassing paint job that only a guy who looks as ridiculous as Stevens can get away with! ;)

7. ah... Singapore! great to see more of us here!
    just in terms of value, the olp would be the most worth it and the funk machine wouldn't do too well on the second hand market in singapore if you ever try to resell it.

btw, i think luthermusic is out of that fender jazz.

8. LoRida

LoRida

Apr 15, 2003
    Poland
    Yeah... And that paintjob is worth 1000 bucks... Geez... :meh: ;)

9. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    i didn't notice that the paintjob costs $1000 bucks until a friend pointed that out to me when I proudly showed him the link to my new bass.
    yeap ladies and gentlemen,i finally got conned into buying the funk machine.
    pity the guy isn't moonlighting as a hairdresser,for I may as well have gotten a new hairdo.
    then the guy can rip me off two times on the same day!

I honestly don't think a paint job warrants $1000,there's more than meets the eye,robots in disguise.

10. What is the funk machine like then? I am very interested in buying one but cant find a review anywhere!!!!!!

11. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    I'm gonna see TM Stevens in about an hour!!!
    :D

:hyper:

12. Sweet dude, tell me how the bass sounds :D

13. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Man, I just got back from his concert and all I can say is :eek:

This man is da funk, da groove, da everything! Very, really very impressive!

@ funky_bass_guy
    puh, hard to describe a sound, but I'll give it a try. First of all, he played his Funkmachine through various effects, including a Wah, a Boss Metalzone, an EBS Pedal (don't know which) and various others and 2 Ampegs SVT-4Pro powering 2 Ampeg 8x10 fridges.
    First thing, he had massive lows - the notes on the E-String were shaking the walls! I dunno if it was due to the small room where his rig was a bit of an overkill, but the bottom definitly was there.
    The top end was clear and by no means clanky, but a bit thin sounding IMO. Also the notes on the higher strings seemd to be quieter than on the low strings. But, as mentioned before, this could be due to the physics of the room.
    The next thing was that he did not sound growly (whatever this means ;)). My mainbass is an G&L ASAT and compared to his' mine growls like thunder. I would describe his sound a little bit like a reggae sound, with this deep sounding bass.

But, I would strongly recommend to not rely on this description and test the bass before buying. In the end this is all subjective and a lot of factors have influenced the sound - beginning with his fingers, his effects (I don't know which ones he used when - perhaps he had an octaver on all the time), his soundman, the room-physics and my untrained ears.

I hope this helps a little bit - I'll go to sleep now!

greetz,
    paul

14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've seen TM Stevens up close and personal many times here in NJ - he used to live in Long Branch on the Jersey Shore, and was a regular in many of the local clubs.

The man is a monster player with very impressive and versatile chops in his arsenal. He is first and foremost an incredible showman, hence the overall look. His tone comes from his hands and the way he moves and dances - he is very agressive and physical in his approach. You couldn't get his sound out of the same bass he plays by being shy! When he plays, he goes for it with every note. There is no second guessing - his confidence in who he is and what he stands for is where the tone comes from, the equipment comes second. A good lesson for all of us!

15. Cheers guys :)

Commreman, I am not interested in imitating his tone, just getting a good tone :D

16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Then just practice, practice, practice - play with as many people as you can in as many different situations as you can - as your chops improve, so will your tone. My point was that we get hung up on great equipment here. Equipment helps, but it's only part of the overall picture. The greatest equipment will not compensate for lousy technique or lack of willingness to pay the price in practice. There are no shortcuts. As you go, you'll find your own voice, and perhaps someone will want to sound like you!