OLP stingray copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SLAPBASSPLAYA5, Mar 28, 2004.

1. i fund one those on music 123.com...i hhave played a real MM stingray & like the tone, but i dont have the money for one, so i was wonderin if the copy is anygood.
  2. its good... just not as good as the real deal
  3. If you can't afford it, then save your money until you can!
    I mean it! The Stingray is a treat for the senses (well three of them at least). My first Stingray is a Stingray 5 which I bought in '95. It wasn't until last week when I bought my second bass, a fretless Stingray 4.
  4. i understand that the real thing is ALOT better, but its not goin t be m main bass. i have a warwick that i will always have as #1. but i play some funk songs as a side project & would like to have a funkier sounding bass on hand.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have heard one played and I didn't like it's sound. But keep in mind I did not know the settings on the bass or amp.

Plus the person playing overplayed way to much the little or no melody, so it was not the best way to get a feel for the bass.

Best advice that I can give is, Try to play one yourself if you can.
  6. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I own a stingray, but I definately considered the OLP for the same reasons.
    The OLP won't give you that instant stingray sound- but it goes someway towards it. I understand that with a little estra spending and some customisisng that it can be made into a vry reasonable sounding instrument.
    I tried the Olp first and then cam back a day later and tried out the Stingray. First of the tone just got me on the first note and I knew I was going to have to find the money somewhere. It was as if someone had given me an extra finger on each hand in terms of playability. Soundwise the eq was so much more powerful.... The OLP just seemed a little flat in comparison.
    I made the mistake of trying out a neck-through thumb bass a fortnight ago. I'm still trying to forget about it. Basses are like girls.