1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP Stingray Modification - looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tracer03, Mar 3, 2010.

1. I picked up an OLP Stingray 5 for a mere pittance recently - the former owner told me the electronics needed help and he didn't want to waste the time fixing it - so, after fixing a cold solder joint, it's playing like new.

The thing is, I happened to pick up a Mighty Mite 5 string Replacement pup for it, prior to actually seeing the bass - y'know, in case it needed replacing. Since it didn't I now have an extra pickup sitting on my bench.

And then I got this crazy idea of routing out another pickup slot, so I can drop the new pup in at the neck position.

Since I only have the V-V-T controls, I was trying to decide if I should just wire it all up as is (so, no separate controls) - or have a custom pickguard made with extra Volume controls for the neck pup and a master tone.

So - any suggestions? Has anyone ever modded an OLP Stingray like so?

Or should I just leave well enough alone and go back on the meds? :)

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Instead of getting an expensive custom pickguard, just use concentric pots.

3. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Put a 5 position switch in it...... Would require some total rewire, but would give the full effect of a Stingray 5 HH minus the active electronics.....

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well then we BOTH need to go back on meds because I'm pondering such a mod to my OLP. What I've sort of homed in on to get more versatility out of that beast without loosing that special MM tone is to install a "mode switch". And my idea is to have two modes. One is exactly as it is right now which is to say V/V where each volume controls one coil of the bridge mm pickup.

The other mode would wire the MM bridge pickup as a humbucker (both coils in parallel or series) and the New neck pickup would also be a humbucker of some kind (I've actually been thinking P-bass, but your MM pickup would give a kind of G&L thing. So now rather than controlling the single coils you have a v/v/ which are separate controls for neck and bridge. And since both are humbuckers you don't get single coil hum in that mode.

The question (which I've NOT yet figured out) is how to wire some kind of mini toggle switch that will give me this mode change. A 5 way sort of does it but not quite. Or as someone suggested two stacked volume pots with say top knob for MM and bottom knobs for G&L sound and some kind of switch to change modes. That way you don't have to deal with switching the pots too.

That's about where I am on this project.

5. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    How about 2 concentric (volume/ tone) pots with a push/ pull (standard/ coil tap) switch and then a 3-way pickup selector? No routing required!

6. I like this idea. Personally, I'd probably forgo the push/pull and add just the three-way. since I'm already going to be routing another pickup position, but I'm probably going to have to disassemble it and lay it all out, to get a good idea of the work involved.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Why do you have V-V-T controls if your bass only has one pickup? Am I missing something?

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    One volume knob for each coil in the humbucker.

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    That's weird - I've never heard of a humbucker being set up in that way stock, but anything is possible.

TS, I'd get 3 stacked pots. V/V - V/V - T/T, with all of the top knobs for the neck pickup and all of the bottom knobs for the bridge pickup.

10. I like this idea. Personally, I'd probably forgo the push/pull and add just the three-way. since I'm already going to be routing another pickup position, but I'm probably going to have to disassemble it and lay it all out, to get a good idea of the work involved.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is setup that way because it is this special arrangement that gives the stingray it's special tone!

Which is why I'd like to keep this arrangement but ALSO have available the standard thing which is two pickups (neck, bridge) with a separate volume on each PICKUP rather than each coil. That way you in essence end up with two basses you can choose between.

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This will require a bit of routing, but these are my plans for a OLP 'Ray 5 and an extra pickup...

1) Route the body and the pickguard for the extra pickup
    2) Install two Fender style custom Tele four way switches...these will go to either coil at the ends and series and parallel in the two middle positions
    3) Install an Artec two band preamp

13. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Don't those OLP basses have the output jack on the plate? Maybe drill a hole and move the output jack to the body. That way you could wire a volume control for the new neck pickup and have four knobs instead of three.

One thing I have tried that was really flexible, was to keep the volume on the neck side knob, move the new pickup to the middle volume then add a three way switch for each pickup (wired for a north coil/both/south coil)...

That way you can get 15 different coil options, and with two volumes, every point in between...

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020