olp-stingray pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by padresfan311, Nov 4, 2004.

1. padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    i am really looking in to either an mm2 or mm3 bass by olp and i have noticed that their pickguards are pretty ugly (according to the pic on the website). i was wondering if i could get a pickguard for a musicman stingray and switch it out with an olp one. i'm not sure if it will work because of the screw placement. thanks :)
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yes. They're basically the same bass minus materials, and headstock logo
  3. padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    hey thanks a lot that really helps me out a bunch!
  4. milo

Jul 22, 2004
    WRONG !
    olp- egg shaped pickguard
    music man-symetric oval shaped pick guard

if u dont belive look on net and compare MM and olp and u will see the difference.better take olp pick guard with u when u will be buying new one.

tell me if it fits when u will buy couse i have olp to and i modified it and i am looking for new pickguard
  5. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Just leave it off? Or get one made for you , or if you are handy make one yourself. :)
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My bad, diggity dawg home slice.
  7. Lol, I have this same problem; I picked up an MM2 Bass a couple days ago with the money I got for my 14th B-Day this year and I hate that blue and white gravel color. I really wanna change the pick guard to a black or white one. :bassist:
  8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Tonawanda, NY
    Can't leave it off. Big pickup route.
  9. Well, your outta luck on the mm3 too. MM SR5's have a 3 way Pup switch & 4 controls. MM3 has no switch & 3 controls. I've got a mm3 that I would love to change the guard on.

Course you could always rewire & add the switch if so inclined.
  10. optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
  11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You can buy an aftermarket pickguard from one of the online shops to firt the OLP.

And OLP and EBMM are not the same company, or affiliated with one another, except that EBMM used to license OLP to make StingRay look-alike basses. But that's where the connection ends. OLP does not use the same materials as EBMM, OLP basses do not sound anywhere near close to a EBMM bass and they don't play nearly as easily either. OLP does not have the same excellent customer service as EBMM and the OLP basses are not "cheaper" EBMM basses.

And can we please stop calling them Ernie Ball OLP basses. They are two separate companies with no other connection than one used to be a customer of the other.