OLP Stingrays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joel Duffey, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Does anyone know much about these basses? How good are they compared to the real thing?
  2. The ones I've tried were poorly set up, but seemed solid and had a nice neck. For further information, try the search function. ;) OLP:s heve been mentioned every now and then here since they came out.

Check out this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39177&highlight=OLP+Music+Man

or: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33785&highlight=OLP+Music+Man

or: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45985&highlight=OLP+Music+Man

for example.
  3. the OLPs are not bad. But the MM Ray is active, the OLP is passive. I have a Jay Turser Ray copy that is just as good as the OLP. The only major difference I can see is that the JT body is softer then the OLP, and makes it easier to bang up. BTW, the JT retails for about $80 less than the OLP.
  4. thanks.

if you had to decide out of these, which would you choose.

quarter pound pickups and a new neck for a squier p-bass at $200 for the pickups and i think about $100 for the neck and new tuners to keep it in tune better (new zealand dollars) on a bass with a bad-ass bass bridge. total cost, about $400. this bass is in pretty **** condition too.

or pay $800 for an OLP stringray, brand new.
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Go with the upgrade...
  6. cool, how much of a difference should the pup make? i know the quarter pound pickups have wider poles and pickup a wider frequency, but will it give it a stronger sound?

any neck recommendations?
  7. Stronger sound than the standard Squier pu? YES, because the squier pu's are almost the ultimate in thin sounding pickups... although good strings can remedy this a bit
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    go for a neck from sims customs.
    the one with the leds already in it. and then just instal everything in the body.
    or you can go with a moses graphite neck.

9. Or warmoth if you want something a bit more traditional (and cheaper than moses)
  10. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    800 bones for an olp?!? i was under the impression that they were sold for far less than that...
  11. They do, you're just confusing New Zeelandish bones with American ones. :)
  12. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know I say the same thing everytime this subject comes up but: If you could swing about 200 dollars more, I highly suggest getting the Stingray copy made by Dillion. I wasn't really impressed with the OLP I tried, but the Dillion is a very solid instrument. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

13. well i think ive decided i want the p-bass sound, so now im looking out for a second hand mexican one for around the same price, or i will get around to upgrading my current bass. good strings do do a hell of a lot to bass tone, but i havent been playing as much lately and havent put new strings on for at least 3 months. but now i have new d'addario strings on, they sound very nice.

for every US dollar theres about 2 NZ dollars, you say OLP's are $225, theyre $800 here. thats about 3 and a half times much. All prices in NZ are way too high, and manufacturers put restrictions on intenational buys of their gear so the distributors can make full money.

Come to think of it, i could probably get a fender mexican p-bass sent to my brother in new york from GT or MF, and him send it and itd cost about the same all up.
  14. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    In a previous issue of BPM I saw a Hamer(Slammer) MM-copy... anyone know anything about it?
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have owned the OLP 4, Turdser5, and US Stingray 5. By far and away, the US Ernie Ball blows em away (obviously). Not much great to say about the tursers, not a very good neck, nothing great about it. I ended up customizing it quite a bit, and made a fairly decent instrument out of it. The OLP on the other hand had a really nice neck. Body construction was very good for its price, and the electronics are passive, but still have a good MM ballsy sound. I replaced the humbucker with a duncan basslines alnco pickup....and after 20 minutes, it came back out and the original was replaced.....I honestly liked the sound better. The only down about the OLP's in my opinion, is the hardware looks especially cheap (no worse than the turdser), but it stayed in tune. I think I am going to buy a OLP 5'er to back up my Ernie Ball US. SR-5. I don't think you can beat them for the money (if you are looking for a stingray, but don't wanna spend the bones. I'd buy another US model, but I just purchased the SWR rig of my dreams, and its going to take some recovery time on the finances!
  16. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Is the fact that you called it a Turd-ser a comment on its sound/playability?:D
  17. I dunno, I kinda like my Turser. The neck feels great to me. The Schaller tuners help keep it in tune, too. I've thought about sticking the duncan pup in it with a preamp, but I might keep it passive. I don't have any problems with my turser, but then again I didn't even pay close to retail for it, so that probably sways my opinion.