Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP Tony Levin...Not Bad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marwady, Nov 19, 2005.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Well, I just got this from the UPS man on Friday and I have to say, for the price (I got mine for $325.00 shipped), this bass is not too shabby. The link is to one currently on the 'bay, my camera is down for the moment and mine is a spitting image of this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OLP-E-Ball-...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The neck is straight and fret work is better than a 5 string OLP I played in GC the other day. B is a little floppy but that may get better with new strings. It has a pieced together Alder body with a Flame Maple laminated top and matching headstock.

The tuners are a little cheesy but hold tuning fine. The hardware is not the bullet proof stuff you get on the Stingrays but robust enough to do the job. The 3 band EQ is a little crunchy when you get to extremes but I never max out EQ anyway so it is OK.

Is it a SR5? No way but, it is closer than I thought it would be. In retrospect, back in the day when I was working in bars 6 nights a week, This would have been a great instrument to use. Better than "hickory smoking" and dinging a really nice bass in that environment.

I have a Nordstrand MM5.2 pickup that I am going to try on this bass but I want to live with the stock one for awhile so I can make a better evaluation of the two.

I am also considering a SD preamp.....we'll see.

I will be sitting in with my 2 nephews during Thanksgiving so I can get the feel of it on a live gig, I will post results afterwards.

All in all, not bad for the money and so far, no buyers remorse.

P.S. Have a great holiday to you all!!

2. I have the Nordstrand MM4.4 and I absolutely love it. He makes some great pickups

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Nice review so far! I have been curious about them, having never seen one in person, but have one question- what's the string spacing? Is it narrower than an SR5? Or is it the same? I felt a little crowded on my friend's SR5 that I played years back. Loved the sound, but felt a little limited on my right hand, especially for slap. Let us know how it sounds in a band setting!

4. Any news on what the Nord pickup sounded like I am considering putting one in my OLP MM3 with Status Graphite neck..

Cheers
    Chris

5. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Well,

I got the Nordie from Jay at Blueberry Hill and it turns out to be the wrong version. :( A straight SR5 replacement won't fit. It turns out that the MM copies have many different pickup types and pickup guys like Nordstrand have to make quite a few different versions to keep up with the variations.

The TL OLP needs one with "ears" and a bit narrower spacing.

Long story longer, Jay suggested I call Carey Nordstrand for a swap as Blueberry does not carry that particular version.

I talked to Carey directly (great guy by the way, answers his own phone) and he is sending me the proper version.

I would suggest you contact Carey to make sure you get the right one.

I will post when I complete the swap.

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

Guitar Buyer Magazine (A UK Publication that does not have a website) did a very positive review of this bass in the current month's issue.

I have the entire review as a PDF file. If anyone would like a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you. ;)