OLP Tony Levin...Not Bad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marwady, Nov 19, 2005.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Well, I just got this from the UPS man on Friday and I have to say, for the price (I got mine for $325.00 shipped), this bass is not too shabby. The link is to one currently on the 'bay, my camera is down for the moment and mine is a spitting image of this one.

The neck is straight and fret work is better than a 5 string OLP I played in GC the other day. B is a little floppy but that may get better with new strings. It has a pieced together Alder body with a Flame Maple laminated top and matching headstock.

The tuners are a little cheesy but hold tuning fine. The hardware is not the bullet proof stuff you get on the Stingrays but robust enough to do the job. The 3 band EQ is a little crunchy when you get to extremes but I never max out EQ anyway so it is OK.

Is it a SR5? No way but, it is closer than I thought it would be. In retrospect, back in the day when I was working in bars 6 nights a week, This would have been a great instrument to use. Better than "hickory smoking" and dinging a really nice bass in that environment.

I have a Nordstrand MM5.2 pickup that I am going to try on this bass but I want to live with the stock one for awhile so I can make a better evaluation of the two.

I am also considering a SD preamp.....we'll see.

I will be sitting in with my 2 nephews during Thanksgiving so I can get the feel of it on a live gig, I will post results afterwards.

All in all, not bad for the money and so far, no buyers remorse.

P.S. Have a great holiday to you all!!
  2. I have the Nordstrand MM4.4 and I absolutely love it. He makes some great pickups
  3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Nice review so far! I have been curious about them, having never seen one in person, but have one question- what's the string spacing? Is it narrower than an SR5? Or is it the same? I felt a little crowded on my friend's SR5 that I played years back. Loved the sound, but felt a little limited on my right hand, especially for slap. Let us know how it sounds in a band setting!
  4. Any news on what the Nord pickup sounded like I am considering putting one in my OLP MM3 with Status Graphite neck..

5. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan

I got the Nordie from Jay at Blueberry Hill and it turns out to be the wrong version. :( A straight SR5 replacement won't fit. It turns out that the MM copies have many different pickup types and pickup guys like Nordstrand have to make quite a few different versions to keep up with the variations.

The TL OLP needs one with "ears" and a bit narrower spacing.

Long story longer, Jay suggested I call Carey Nordstrand for a swap as Blueberry does not carry that particular version.

I talked to Carey directly (great guy by the way, answers his own phone) and he is sending me the proper version.

I would suggest you contact Carey to make sure you get the right one.

I will post when I complete the swap.
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

Guitar Buyer Magazine (A UK Publication that does not have a website) did a very positive review of this bass in the current month's issue.

I have the entire review as a PDF file. If anyone would like a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you. ;)