OLP Tony Levin Sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 2, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I am curious if anyone has taken a flier on this bass?

There are a number of threads where the bass has been discussed -- primarily back when it was introduced -- but no actual opinions/reviews from anyone who owns or has played one.

On paper, the TL sig appears to address the major concern with the normal OLP, which is the muddy tone. (I realize that the neck and fretwork won't be up to MM standards but for the $$ difference, that's to be expected.)

What I find especially intriguing is that the Stingray SUB (which is often mentioned as a Stingray alternative) is priced at around $700. At that price you only get a 2-band preamp.

The TL OLP is $350 and has a 3-band preamp. Considering that a great deal of the Singray vibe is about being able to cut mids, the OLP strkes me as an interesting, lower-cost, alternative -- at least on paper. I know all about the "unique" peach color that the TL is most often seen in but it can be found in a Natural/Tort combo.

With all of this said, I'd like to get some thoughts/opinions on the Tony Levin sig OLP. I realize that it won't be up to MM Stingray standards and I'm not evaluating it in that context. I'm just curious about the thoughts/experiences of the group.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think shes a great looking bass which I would love to try, though I may just go for his tacky orange version.
  3. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    One of the guys at the latest Bongo Fest brought one of those over. Just like the one in the photo above, actually. It would take some work to get it into what I consider playing shape, but for the money, why not?

I'm not a big OLP fan, but I wish we'd had such good basses at that price point when I was a youngster.
  4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Jack -

Could you elaborate on this?

Caveat: I know that it won't be up to MM standards. IMO, That would be like trying to make an MIM Jazz comparable to a Lull or a Sadowsky. It ain't gonna happen.
  5. steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I sell basses for a living. The OLP stuff is cool for the price. FOR THE PRICE. Comparing it to a Fender Squire or cheap Ibanez is a good place to start. I think they sound good for the money and look cool to boot. Make sure you play one before committing any amount of money to it. Good Luck
  6. Amen to that!!! The quality of things like SX and OLP is amazing for the price. When I started, a cheap bass was a cheap POS boat oar.:D
  7. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I'd totally get one in quilt, if I could just get over that pickguard! I own an olp 4 string in flamed maple, and I absolutely LOVE it !!!
  8. Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    My bass teacher has one natural TL bass. I think it was great for the money. It had very nice sound and the EQ worked well. It was nicely constucted and very good looking :) and suprisingly the low B-string worked pretty nice! ... And if i dont remember wrong the pickup is just the same kind that tony levin has on his musicman.