OLP vs Music Man sub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff is god., Nov 21, 2003.

1. cliff is god.

cliff is god.

Apr 28, 2003
    Do you htink it is worth the extra 400 dollars to get a music man sub instead of an OLP?
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yes, but God plays a five string Bongo, Cliff.
  3. I wish i could get my hands on God's bass. I would probably die instantly after touching it though:D
  4. cliff is god.

cliff is god.

Apr 28, 2003
    actually god played an alec 5 string or a rickenbacker with red sunburst
  5. Hey,
    I play a OLP, and love the sound, maybe I have untrained ears or something lol.. because everyone cuts them down. It has the right amount of punch, and everything for me. The Musicmans and subs have too much punchy-ness (lol) for me.. so I didn't really like it. I had over enough money to buy a sub, and enough to buy a musicman, and instead, I just stayed with the OLP I have.
    My olp is the natural with black pickguard, with a maple neck, and I love it to death. I take mroe care of this than my 600 fender.
    Hopefully this can help you. Id say buy the OLP from this guy on ebay, ive seen him sell the natural ones, but never seen anyone else carry them.
  6. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Definately the SUB. It has the Stingray sound, no doubt. It's made in the US, has an active preamp (depending on the model you buy), and is an actual Musicman bass, rather than a licensed product made in China, or wherever.
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Better hardware, better pickups on the SUB. Plus, well, it's a Sport Utility Bass.

What's cooler, Officially LIcensed Product or Sport Utility Bass?

Heck, you already know that one.
  8. well, i really hate SUVs so i'm kinda biased against SUBs. There should be a law against cars with under 20mpg city. Most people never use all that space anyways.
  9. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    No, I believe it was a Modulus Genesis, played through (what else?) an Eden amp.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The SUB is by far superior.
  11. I think both offer good "bang fer yer buck" but what I noticed was that the OLP had a much "darker" tone. Maybe you might think that sounds bassier or no....just play 'em.
  12. LMAO :D

13. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    SUB. i played an olp and thought i would like it, but it weighed a ton and sounded nothing like anything worth paying money for (in my oppinion) and it just wasnt for me. your oppinion may differ.
  14. yeah, one guy said it had a "darker" sound, which i like when i play, and i've played OLPs that really suck, and mine sounds better than all of those. To me, your sound is your sound, and the way you like it, is just the way you like it.
  15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Get the SUB.
    I'll be having one once they bring out a 5-string.

Russ :bassist:
  16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    As an addendum to my last post, just had a look on the MusicMan website, and there's a pic of the SUB 5-string - it's not the same body style as the StingRay 5, it's the same as the 4-string, oval pickguard, crescent control plate... nicer than the StingRay 5! :D

Russ :bassist:
  17. I havent played a sub, only an OLP. I was pretty dissapointed with the olp. They have some at the local music store, and i was like "w00, just as good as stringrays i bet!!~!!" yeah right. The song kinda gets annoying in a bit. But now to the sub. While i havent played one, all magazine i read give it high points and say its amazing. hmm...definitly the SUB. The olp has a really...cheap feel to it.

- w00t
  18. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I agree, lose the pickguard, and I'd rather have the SUB.