Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP vs. SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobito, Nov 15, 2004.

1. I have been playing a squire p bass for a little over a year and am ready to upgrade. problem is, i would love to get a stingray but i cant spend that much on a bass so....i have 2 options. what is my best bet? i have heard good things about both basses and the OLP is way more affordable so its just a matter of deciding...any suggestions?

2. I'd go for OLP...I've A/B'd them and the only difference I can tell is the price.

I plan on getting an OLP from Santy Clause:)

3. somebody said the olps with upgraded pup is the ticket.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! This was a "no contest" for me in favor of the SUB's. Are the OLP's that good?

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    ^

6. music man vs olp??? music man all the way. (though the subs are ugly as poo in my opinion, and i love bongos!)

7. Ahhhh...proof that man is truly a diverse species! Thank God!

8. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    i have olp with maple freatboard . i changed a bridge to SCHALLER 3d it were a must couse ratling.Bass is softer now and i have less buzzing frets.than i put BASSLINES pup and pream in and now it sounds like real sting ray.only problem i have is neck because my flat humidity.In repair shop i have low action and no fret buzz when i come home after 3 days i must tighten truss rod and there is a difference if i have bass in the living room or in the bead room.in the living i must lose truss rod and when i have it few days in beadrom i must tighten it.That is only problem with OLP.
    if i look how much i put in OLP i get the same price as active SUB which is better build and i belive there is less problems with neck and is USA made BUT... i hate rosewood freatboard
    so i deicidet to buy OLP and upgrade it. and i would do it again.

rottinginside likes this.
  9. Go with the OLP! The one I played sounded fatter and deeper than the proper stingray, and the Sterling SUB I tried had a metal body(no joke). The OLP had a nice neck, a nice sound, and a nice price.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I really liked the SUB Ive tried much more than OLP.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've played both, and in MHO, the OLP isnt anywhere near as nice as the SUB. The OLPs I've played have all been very poorly constructed. The SUB's are pretty much normal EB quality.

12. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Yeah, i own a SUB (That's right) and it's very good quality for the money, but i suggest getting the active electronics as the passive just sounds like sh....oot. And yeah, the OLP's construction is absolutely horrible, i could see one breaking down in a years hard playing. But the thing is with the SUB, that finish may look crappy, but you could hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't crack, it's so stong (although I don't suggest trying it).

anyways, peace.

13. Must of been custom cuz.... http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/specs/instruments_substerling.html

Body wood looks to be Poplar

--------------------------------------

On another note....go for the SUB - Great bass IMO. Never found anything wrong with one.

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    They have a very hard finish textured finish, and a metal diamond plate pickguard, but they are not made of a metal. They are made of poplar.

15. WEll I am telling you it was metal. It made a hollow ping. It wasn't exactly heavy either. And it sounded rubbish anyway.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nick. It wasn't metal.

17. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Providing that it was a new bass - meaning it had not been altered from the EB factory - That's impossible - Sorry... :rollno:

The mild ring was from the truss rod vibrating inside the neck. Similar to a set of bells. They don't ring because they're flopping around, but because something has struck them and caused them to resonate. The truss rod isn't vibrating because it's loose in the normal sense, but because it might have needed a slight adjustment. Very common in a lot of basses. But usually if they're properly set (the rod that is) that "ringing" will be eliminated.

But the body WAS NOT metal.

Different strokes for different folks. That's why there are so many successful companies making great basses out there.

18. :D

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If I were a big MM/EB fan (oddly enough I love the tone others get from them, but not when I play them) I'd certainly pick up an SUB as a gigging bass to save a "tr00" 'Ray/Sterling from live show battle scars. The ones I've played have easily copped 85% of the "vibe" of the original, and I actually like the finishes as a "rough 'n tumble" moneysaver.

...plus the SUB StingRay 5 doesn't have the "cartoon bubble" pickguard, and that's one design facet that straight up improves on the original. Hell, one day I might pick up one because the black textured finish plus diamondplate pickguard = \m/etal. Not Nickthebassist "metal", but you know what I'm talking about. ;)

20. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes we do. :bassist: