1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OLP with a new bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was shocked to discover that there are OLP basses that don't suck. Really! It's true! I played one.

If you're through laughing I'll tell you about it.

Okay I'll wait.

Okay, so I was at my local Guitar Center. And I noticed a new infusion of OLP's. This time they had a few fivers in the batch. Two were black, with rosewood boards and black pearl pickguards. Since I really really prefer rosewood to maple, and I have black pearl pickguards on both my main bass and my strat, I figured it was a sign I should give them a try.

The first one was every bit as "good" as I expected an OLP to be.

The second one was great! Yeah I know. I was shocked too. I still really don't like the bridge, though. My main complaint against a lot of fivers is narrow string spacing at the bridge. The SR5 is a particularly annoying example. The OLP SR5 is even narrower. But I suppose I could swap out the bridge to one that fit the widest spacing the neck could tolerate. Currently I really like the Hipshot.

Opinions?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well if you get a bridge with different string spacing, the neck will be the same, and the p-ups...
    If the strings are over the board, then... yeah, I dont think i need to say more... even if its not the case, 3-4 mms clearance should be left
    If you move the strings, they will be badly aligned to the p-up if its a pole p-up like MMs...
    Maybe they got better, but that still doesnt make them able to be converted into wide-string-spacing basses

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I wasn't talking about that big of a change. The neck is the same width as on a regular SR5. And so is the pickup. But the bridge spacing on this bass is narrower. I was thinking about getting it up to regular SR5 spacing, so it would be properly aligned, just with a more substantial bridge.

We're talking about a small difference here. Adding less than a 1/4" width to the total B-to-G width. It would still be on the fingerboard. This bass was a real surprise. It sounded good. It felt good. It was just too narrow.