Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLP with a new bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was shocked to discover that there are OLP basses that don't suck. Really! It's true! I played one.

If you're through laughing I'll tell you about it.

Okay I'll wait.

Okay, so I was at my local Guitar Center. And I noticed a new infusion of OLP's. This time they had a few fivers in the batch. Two were black, with rosewood boards and black pearl pickguards. Since I really really prefer rosewood to maple, and I have black pearl pickguards on both my main bass and my strat, I figured it was a sign I should give them a try.

The first one was every bit as "good" as I expected an OLP to be.

The second one was great! Yeah I know. I was shocked too. I still really don't like the bridge, though. My main complaint against a lot of fivers is narrow string spacing at the bridge. The SR5 is a particularly annoying example. The OLP SR5 is even narrower. But I suppose I could swap out the bridge to one that fit the widest spacing the neck could tolerate. Currently I really like the Hipshot.

Opinions?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well if you get a bridge with different string spacing, the neck will be the same, and the p-ups...
    If the strings are over the board, then... yeah, I dont think i need to say more... even if its not the case, 3-4 mms clearance should be left
    If you move the strings, they will be badly aligned to the p-up if its a pole p-up like MMs...
    Maybe they got better, but that still doesnt make them able to be converted into wide-string-spacing basses

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I wasn't talking about that big of a change. The neck is the same width as on a regular SR5. And so is the pickup. But the bridge spacing on this bass is narrower. I was thinking about getting it up to regular SR5 spacing, so it would be properly aligned, just with a more substantial bridge.

We're talking about a small difference here. Adding less than a 1/4" width to the total B-to-G width. It would still be on the fingerboard. This bass was a real surprise. It sounded good. It felt good. It was just too narrow.