Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 28, 2004.

1. I ADORE the stingray styling, but can't afford one that says made in San Luis Obispo Califoria on the back of the headstock :bawl:

However, I can afford the OLP version :hyper:
    Would the following upgraeds be worthwhile:
    Bart MMC or Duncan SMB-4
    Aggie OBP-1
    MAYBE a new neck

Anyone done any of these mods to an OLP 4 stingray?
  2. ive been told by fellow TB'ers that upgrading preamp/pup would not even touch on that unique sting ray sound, but imo it looks worth it.

and i don't see why you should need a new neck providing you manage to pick up a well made instrument! new tuners, perhaps...
  3. I owned an OLP for a while, in my opinion, they're great basses for the money you pay them. I've been thinking about upgrading the bass too. If i were you, I'd use a Bart with Aquilar pre-amp and also a new bridge.
    But I went for the real stuff :D Had the chance to get a few good jobs during the holidays
  4. If you can't afford a real Stingray, then save your money until you can. Buy used even. Believe me, it's worth it.
  5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    What about those S.U.B. basses. I haven't heard anything bad about them and the ones I played had a pretty good tone in my opinion.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    By the time you did all of this, you'd have the same amount of cash in it as you would a good, used REAL stingray. Check out Ebay, the prices used are pretty good, and there are some great quality basses to be had. I bought my last 4 stringrays used via Ebay, and three of them looked showroom new . . .
  7. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    The SUBs that I have tried have been great. Maybe I have been lucky but at least check them out. Dillion makes a good Stingray copy also. Better woods hardware than a OLP IMHO. YMMV etc.
  8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The OBP-1 is a killer pre, I put one of those is a similarly 'cheap' bass. A Brice 6-string fretless. The electronics we're junk. So I popped in 2 EMG 45-DC's and an OBP-1. That thing stomps now!

9. Instead of getting an OLP and then spending money on any/all of those mods....just save your cash for an SUB.....I have one and it 's amazing for the money! OK, it's only really a 2band EQ 'Ray.....but I can live with that!
  10. Oh yeah, the MusicMan SUBs also say "Made on San Luis Obispo, California, USA" on the back headstock as well :)
  11. si-fidelity

Apr 13, 2004
    I own an OLP MM2 "natural"... as you probably know it's passive (a volume control for each of the coils and tone control). Personally, I too like the look of the stingray and it's sound- but I'm a Jazz bass lover, so a Fender Jazz is my main axe. So what I did was traded in my Yamaha RBX-370A (my backup) for this... a different type of backup. I'm happy with me choice, It's a slightly different tone, but all so versatile :).

If you wanted to put some active pre in the cavity, it's one tight fit! that and every time you changed the battery, you'd be threading the holes a little more. Another problem you'd have is securing the battery in the already small cavity so that it doesn'y stuff up any solder joints. Which leaves the other option of ROUTING! To me, it would be a waste of money for you, whether you routed a battery cavity under the pick guard or on the back or had to continually pay a tech to re-thread your screw holes (solid colours have a basswood body- a very soft wood, the natural is made of Elm a harder wood, although rarely used in instrument making ie i don't know that much about it) Which only reinforces the idea that by the time you paid for all this, whatever choice you made, you'd be better off paying for the real thing.

If this is going to be your main bass, then save. seriously. it's worth the wait. The SUB is a good option (not for me though- god damn australian dollar)... it's construction is great, tonally hard to distinguish from the Stingray (i played all 3 in my music shop). Made in the same factory, only difference is the textured finish and Poplar body. cheers.
  12. save for a used stingray or get a sub, the sub would probably cost as much as the olp + the upgrades, they go for around 450 if you watch ebay long enough