1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olympic attendence. What's with all of the empty seats??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Just saw this on CNN morning, but in all fairness first heard of this on FB from something Bassybill posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/29/sport/empty-seats-olympic-venues/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    If they'd had the Olympics in Manchester and let us Northerners organise things, it'd be a different story :)

3. I think the manner in which they've tried to sell the tickets put a lot of people off.

On saying that, the women's beach volleyball has always looked pretty packed....

4. haha...I wonder why. God bless women's beach volleyball :)

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    This is a non-story , corporate sponsor seats unfilled [pretty common in every sport outside the olympics], ewwwwwwwww ?

Talking heads blathering on about this in absentia of the event , not even covering the event.

The event is the event , not Joe Blow from Samsung's HR department not being there.

6. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Hmm. Maybe people have begun to realize how lame the Olympics have become... :D

7. +1 EXACTLY! :scowl:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I did notice that watching a few events on TV. Maybe for the medaling events, everyone will show up.

I love how Coe stood up for his sponsors, but then again, he had to.

-Mike

9. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    It's pretty sad that people who wanted to go couldn't buy tickets, while people who have tickets aren't turning up to the events. I was watching the news about this debacle and apparently they are starting to give tickets away. Which is sad, considering the amount of people who are camped outside venues, watching a live broadcast.

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    The Olympics is on?

Ooooops. Maybe I'll catch a piece of the next one :oops:

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    yeah, this is pretty much my feeling.

the local papers were running some kind of "Olympic VIP guests not leaving their hotels" story yesterday...

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    There's a LOT I could say about 'Lord' Coe, but I'd get myself in trouble....

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Ehhh, if you read the story, the empty seats are not due to a lack of demand from the public.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Seriously... the economy around the world is in the tank.

Unless you're a 1-percenter, spending money to go see the Olympics should be about the last thing on your mind.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

15. Why?

Most events have cheap seats, usually at £20, which is cheaper than most international sporting events. Cheaper than seeing a large touring band. Over here even a cinema ticket is around a tenner (£8.70 for standard 2D, £11 for 3D and £13.20 for IMAX).

For a lot of people who are into non-professional sports, this is the peak sporting event for thier sport. Hardly have to be mega rich to enjoy it. Nothing wrong with spending a bit on something that only comes around once every 4 years and may only be in your country once in a lifetime.

If you want to talk about 1-percenting, the Olympics ain't got nothing on the Superbowl in terms of cost . . .

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    You've got a point there. But for those people living outside of England, you still have travel costs which these days are considerable.

I also think the whole "global community" thing that they try to push across every 4 years with the Olympics is just not playing well with a lot of folks anymore. They see it as hokey at best and contrived at worst. The numerous doping/drug scandals, plus the fact that many of these "amateur" athletes are essentially bought-and-paid-for employees of their respective governments, have only added to the cynicism.

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think some people might miss this post, Greg, so I'm quoting it because it's important to realise this to understand what's been going on. ;)

18. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I didn't read the story because, quite frankly, the Olympics bore me to death at this point.

19. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    You mean like a Hells Angels member? :D