Olympic Curling

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MrLenny1, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    My buddy had a gig this weekend and had to compete
    against 10 large screen TV's with Olympic Ice Curling on.
    The band did their best but the Curling won.

Why do we do this ? lol

SLO Surfer and BassCliff like this.
  2. Maybe it's my imagination, but they sure showed a hell of a lot of curling on TV here in the States this Olympics. I think the US brother-sister team, and then the US men actually having a shot at a gold had something to do with it. But since the Olympics are on constantly in my house, I watched a whole bunch of curling, more than I had planned. For the first time in decades, I actually understand the rules. I can see this distracting from a live band in a small venue; it's kind of exciting once you get the hang of it. And of course, it was invented by the same sadists who gave us golf, the Scottish. Great drinking game.

ReggieRochester and BassCliff like this.
  3. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Curling makes MUCH more sense once you understand the expectation that you’ll score more than one when you’ve got the hammer, and the significance of stealing even one point when you haven’t got it.

Once you get all that, a lot of the game's tactics become a lot easier to understand.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    that's what happens when you gig at a "Sports Bar" Curling may be the next big "it" sport, however I was told the stones are very expensive so it may not be something your kids play in high school. I know where I live there are several curling clubs in the area.

BassCliff and Sore Thumb like this.
  5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Happens all the time in my area, but it's usually Hockey games.

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Here in the Buckeye State, it's truly an exercise in futility for a band to play in a bar and expect audience engagement during any kind of an OSU game.

bassbully likes this.
  7. Matt Bowen

Matt Bowen

Feb 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Did this gig happen to be taking place in Canada?

8. Hurryyyyyy! It's like Salt Lake, 2002, all over again for me.

9. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Here in Canada........we know better than to play a single note until last whistle in the hockey game. Sometimes we extend that a few minutes if Don Cherry is doing post game analysis. I have to admit.......I'm usually watching too

10. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer

Jun 3, 2009
    Los Osos, CA
    I’m in this Afrobeat/world music ensemble that is all about spreading a message of peace, unity, and all that other hippy crap. We recently played a bar while UFC fighting was happening, blood and all, on all the tv screens around us. I personally hate when tv’s are on in a music venue, but I kinda enjoyed the absurd dichotomy of that evening.

(This venue has since added a video camera to have a live feed of the stage showing on all the TVs in the bar while live music is happening.)

11. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    So not to detract, but curling is super interesting.