1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olympic Korean Flag Gaffe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
  2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Yeah, as a diplomatic disaster it's right up there with the failure of international diplomacy to do anything about the Syrian situation, or any of the other conflicts that have beset the world since time began - you know, the diplomatic disasters where people actually die as a result. :scowl:

3. BFD

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    doubt if this will inspire Lil Kim to launch the big one.

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Arise, Sir Buzzington of Killshire :)

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Oh lord how I agree with this post..
    alas, we cant really talk about that here :(

But this latest gaffe - yeah that was a pretty big oops!!

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I didnt know Lil Kim had plans to release a new album!

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    "It's not even the best Korea. It's third behind South Korea and Chick Corea!"

from Glenn Martin DDS

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Jools and Relic....don't misunderstand my primary reason for posting this story - I just thought it was really funny in a "Jeez, how dumb can you get?" kind of way :)

I am more than aware of the lurking ban-hammer should the conversation stray!

10. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You'd be surprised how often I get this conversation.

Then again, you wouldn't expect this sort of mix up from international bodies and committees. Sports diplomacy failed.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No worries! I didn't take it that way. Jool's post caught my eye for sure but that's not something that we can talk about here. Sorry to stray!
    But back on topic - yes that was a bad one. Wasn't there something similar with North Korea a while back where someone played the South's national anthem during awards ceremony or something of the sort?

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I wonder if these so-called gaffes were intentional...

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Rings a bell, yes.

Having the one-man idiot that is Prince Philip tossing his mouth off around the world over the decades has been a fine source of both amusement and embarrassment for us Brits.

Incidentally, talking of international diplomatic provocation (intentional or otherwise), I meant to rope you into the English Football thread during the recent Euro 2012 championships - not for your sharp insight into the beautiful game (;)), but for your spin on the whole Poland/Russia situation, fuelled when thousands of Russian fans unfurled a 200foot banner inside the Warsaw (or was it Krakow?) stadium reading 'This Is Russia'.

Unsurprisingly, the Polish were outraged at the provocative and inflammatory nature of the wording, and the Russians refused to condemn it insisting it was a lot of fuss about nothing.

Keano will back me up on that one!

14. Typical. I imagine that when the North Koreans complained, organizers shrugged and said: "Are not you all the same?"
    I keep my fingers crossed that for tomorrow's match against UAE we (uruguayans) won´t be put under the flag of Paraguay ...

15. A girl that works at one of my company's other branches is an immigrant and told me she gets asked that all the time - she eventually just settled on always saying "South Korea" instead.

16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yes, definitely a distant third behind Chick Corea and that other korea.

17. or plain old chorea and all those annoying arm movements ;)

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Oh man...I have lived in Poland, I know very well the "unique" we'll call it, relationship between Poles and Russians. Something like that is so obviously provocative that it's ludicrous to claim otherwise. There's almost a game-like quality in how the the two cultures relate to one another. It's akin to a schoolyard bully obsessively picking on the kid who wont back down. I give the Poles credit for allowing the Russians involved to leave unscathed. I really dont know why people even have to do stuff like that, sad.. :(

19. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Yeah, it would have upset any team if the wrong flag was displayed. But North Korea shouldn't even be in the Olympics with their human rights atrocities so, basically, they can cry me a river.

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    (In a perfect world, I guess) the Olympics are supposed to be about the peoples from each participating country competing as part a friendly world community. It should have nothing at all to do with politics. The North Koreans deserve to be there. It about the people not the governments.