1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Olympic white yellowing UNDER pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mouthmw, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    So, I love me a nice road worn, scuffed up bass, no lie there, no lie. I love when the olympic white starts yellowing, and it's one of my favorite colors on a bass. So, my custom made PJ is a nitro olympic white, and although I see a slight yellowing has started (bass is over 2 years old), I wanted to check underneath the pickguard, expecting it to be whiter, for comparison.

Lo and behold:

38AE3F97-C014-4EE8-A778-F5AE63BB1A16.

There's an actual outline of the pickguard and it's like, yellow dude. The quick pic I took doesn't do it justice, but it's still visible. This is the first time I ever looked under the pickguard too.
    I'm like, well that's how I want the whole bass to turn!
    What gives? Why more yellowing underneath the pickguard? I thought you need like UV light to hit the nitro color for that yellow tint.
    Maybe I should wrap the bass in plastic or something to get that effect.
    Thoughts? How did this happen?

2. My first thought was dust collecting under the pickguard.

My second thought was color leeching out of the pickguard on to the clear coat.

Hope to hear from someone more knowledgeable.

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm thinking it might be a simple reaction to the clear coat being "touched" by something.
    I noticed the yellower spots being in places where I either anchor my finger (bridge pup) or my hand, or the upper back of the body where it's more often pressed against my clothes while I'm playing.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Bumpety bump.
    Any thoughts on this?

5. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I had a blizzard pearl P bass for a bit, and it had the same thing happen to it. The color under the replacement pg had started to turn yellow. The only thing I could think of was that the pg plastic (or something used to clean it prior to packaging) reacted to the clearcoat and discolored it.

mouthmw likes this.