1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Olympics opening ceremony...nice but too long.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Dang, three+ hours??? Some interesting stuff, but as my dad used to say, "they sure passed up a lot of good chances to stop."

Sure, it was a nice event, but it ground on forever and the dance routines were superfluous. At this rate by next Olympics it will take a half-day for the ceremony. Give me an hour, two at the most, and then get it finished. I don't need David Beckham driving a neon-lit speedboat up the Thames, for heaven's sake.

Do a 5-minute opening routine, play a song, walk the athletes in, shoot some fireworks off, light the torch, cue McCartney, then wrap it up.

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Some observations....

Great shot of the queen picking her fingernails and looking bored to tears as Team GB entered the arena.

Thought the flame looked great. Wonderful piece of engineering....very clever indeed.

Arctic Monkeys singing Come Together whilst Macca was backstage? Huh????

Correctly predicting a Hey Jude singalong.

Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean. Great sequence. My 7 year old loved it.

Trying to guess which country was coming next.

Trying to guess which country would have the fewest competitors.

Trying to imagine ANY opening ceremony without fireworks.

Hoping Beckham would steer that boat into a low-lying bridge.

Three opportunities to spot bass gear.

Waiting (in vain) for the pundits to play a scene from 28 Days Later as part of the Boyle love-in.

Experiencing real-life time dilation as Coe and that old crust gave their speeches.

Losing count of the do-able athletes.

Remembering why I bought a big HD TV.

Sigh. I used to go out on a Friday night.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I didn't watch the whole thing, but I thought the bits I did see were superb - quintessentially British in so many ways. Brilliant job, Mr Boyle.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Yep. Despite the London lovefest in the media, the whole thing felt very 'Northern' :)

5. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It felt very Midlands to me! The age of industry was invented right here on my own doorstep.

Maybe the fact that a Brummie like me and a Northerner like you both saw nods to our own respective patches shows how well Boyle had thought this through. I was proud of London as one of the world's truly great cities, too.

This is the best write up I've seen yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18971766

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it was meh for moi,...

the Chinese kinda raised the bar quite substantially, IMO.:(

8. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    This says it all:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    ^HAHAHAHAHAHA^

10. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I thought it was excellent, however I am on vacation in Hawaii at the moment so throughout the entire broadcast I had to put up with the ever so irritating American commentators (no offense to the Americans among us) wouldn't have been so annoying if they didn't talk about how great the cover of Come together was the whole damn time they were playing.

Huge fan of the Arctic Monkeys, sad they cutout I bet you look good on the dancefloor from the pre-recording.

And of course there was no mention of Alex Trimble...

Really love Paul McCartney but it seems nowadays the only song he plays is Hey Jude, might just be me though...

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I saw some of it. What I saw looked good, no complaints. Just seemed to be long though... for someone like myself with an attention span like that of a goldfish, it was tough but somehow I endured.

12. I was disappointed that during the sequence with the music through the ages that they missed Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and The Police. Other than that, it was very good.

lowsound

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    There was a great sequence with 'Eclipse' as the soundtrack....

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I wouldn't even compare the two as I think they set out to show different aspects of two very different countries.

The Chinese event four years ago was a truly stunning visual spectacle, brilliantly executed, but I don't think it told the story of the host nation's history and illuminated its character as well as the London one did last night, and with some subtle and not-so-subtle humour plus a bit of political comment into the bargain. Those aspects seemed to be what Danny Boyle intended to achieve and I think he did so amazingly well. And I'm saying that as someone who is not even a big fan of the Games as a whole - in fact, I've been uninterested or even pessimistic about the whole shebang ever since it was announced that we'd got this seven years ago.

There were one or two snippets of Floyd and Zeppelin in there if you listened carefully, btw.

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "immigrant song" from Zeppelin when Greece entered would have been something.

16. and Napalm Death.

17. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Come on, you are overlooking the 2 most important bands in metal!

Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.

How could the organizers miss them out?! they are only the 2 most influential metal bands ever!

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

19. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Nice one. :D

20. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member