1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OMFG has anyone seen this- One-handed bass player thread

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 4stringsolution

4stringsolution

Mar 27, 2011
    Boston
    OMFnG is right! This is great! Wasn't having a very good day and this turned my whole attitude around. Thanks for a great share!

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Guy in my area, Billy Carr (formerly of fusion trio Beanstalk), is a quite gifted bassist and drummer, and he sometimes plays both simultaneously. Very credibly, I might add.

3. Munroe

Munroe

Apr 25, 2012
    Is he using E-A-D-G tuning?

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Rather than resurrecting a zombie thread you could have just read it, it says on page 2 or 3 that he tunes BEAD.

5. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    ...don't forget to take tons of PED's. :bag:

6. Litvinas

Litvinas

Dec 28, 2012
    lithuania
    Guess I was too late, the link's dead :/

7. Not sure where I've been all this time, but I'd never see this guy before this thread.

I think it's pretty cool. Shows you how accurate you can get with your left hand when you don't have to worry about right hand technique.

8. Somebody's playing Thread Sheriff again. :meh:

barney20fife.

9. dont_fret

dont_fret

Sep 15, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
  10. Jammed with Bill a few times back in the 80s (before his accident). Nice guy and I'm super glad that he was able to overcome what was a devastating injury.

bolophonic likes this.
  11. bassrockz20

bassrockz20

Jul 22, 2014
    Sounds like a great guy!

12. jamesholley

jamesholley

Nov 9, 2013
  13. jamesholley

jamesholley

Nov 9, 2013
    Playing with one hand! That's awesome! Years ago a friend of mine, in Vegas, Big John Wills, had an azz kickin' lounge band. The drummer could play using his left hand only, while playing trumpet with his right hand. The bass player played with his left hand and played valve trombone with his right hand. The piano player played chords with his left hand, and trumpet with his right. Big John put down his guitar and played sax! They did some big band horn tunes that would blow you away! I've never seen another band do that.

14. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    There's a band up here in Wisconsin where the horn players all play two horns at the same time. It's pretty cool, but I am not that much into polka style music.

15. mike_mckaigg

mike_mckaigg

Dec 28, 2008
    I saw Bill play at NAMM a couple of years ago. Was standing maybe five feet from him watching him play. I asked how low his action was and without missing a beat on what he was playing said to me "actually it's lower than I like it". He can play for hours like that nonstop. Just proves that when you have a real passion for what you do you can overcome and excel.

Leftka likes this.
  16. Hotmelt

Hotmelt

Jan 27, 2017
    Canada
    People like this give the most inspiration! I used to play a computer game called counter strike (a lot) it takes lots of skill and practice, at one point it seemed like I reached my peak and was a bit disheartened by it but then I came across this guy:

the dude has no arms!!!! determination goes a long way.

17. Leftka

Leftka Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    bill inspired me and has actually taken time out of his day to talk to me about technique, strings, tuning, firing sequence...great guy.

18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I bet he gets that question a lot.

19. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    WOW! I never caught this thread. Not my cup of tea musically, but he can play circles around me! What a talent. The crazy thing I was about to start a thread whining about tearing a ligament in my right (plucking hand) middle finger. After reading/listening to this post, I will pass on starting that one! Glad I caught this thread before I posted!