Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OMFG Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ok gents and ladies, here's my prob... though I can fool the average listener, when I slap, it all sounds the same. It's hard to explain, so I'm going to post a couple of one offs (be kind, they are one offs) so you can see what I'm talking about. The rhythmic pattern remains the same throughout it seems... hold on... here's one...

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    and 2...

In my defense, things change up a bit (a bit) when I play with a drummer. I get to play around with rests and stuff, which I do by myself, but these are examples of what I fall back on more often than not. I put them in the same key for the added effect. I know, I know, slap isn't important, etc. But it's fun, and it impresses the ladies. :cool: :rolleyes:

Edit: I had to cut it short (oh boo hoo) and excuse the tone. :rolleyes:

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Try getting rid of all those ghost notes :D That stuff's cool for showing off and whatnot but it usually doesn't have much of a groove in my opinion. It sounds like you've got plenty of chops so now you can focus on making music that makes you wanna shake your rump. Work out some slap lines in 7/8, 6/8, 12/8, etc. time. Play in keys you don't normally practice slap lines in.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, musically speaking the second one is cooler. It closer to grooving. However, it's a bit uneven. Work with your metronome to make sure you can play everything rhythmically correct. But it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

The only other advise I'd give you is to stop trying to 'impress' people and play music.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ah, but this was in jest. It happens quite a bit around here and in music in general though. I like the advice about ditching the dead notes, Jason.

See, I got a Mel Bay book on slapping and it was called "Percussive Slap Bass" and it taught me a lot, but locked me into a certain style, which is always bad.

Yeah, I noticed my timing wasn't perfect, and I knew I was going to get in trouble for it, but I figured what the heck. If I really *cared* about it, I would have threw a drum track behind it.

Thanks for the comments.

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I dig the second file.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :bawl: I wasn't trying to impress anyone, I swear. I wasn't even TRYING period. I was just playing without thinking to show what I "fall back on."

Again I'll say, when I play with a drummer, I'm not as reliant on dead notes filling up all the spaces. But I follow a simiar rhythmic pattern, and if I could speak in educated terms (I should learn to do that at some point) when discussing rhythm, I would tell you exactly what I'm doing.

Agg, damn my uneducated ass.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you want to hear me playing with drums, check out Scholle at my MP3.com site. Nothing flashy, but I was going for a weird feel starting at a different time with the drums which are already a bit weird. But that's me more concerend with groove than notes or whatever... I guess you could say it's "not impressive." ;) :confused:

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Ok, Matt, I guess I started it :) I didn't mean for everyone to jump on you - I was simply addressing the part in your original post about "fooling the average listener". I guess maybe I misinterperited what you wrote. I wasn't really bagging you for 'trying to impress people'.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The title says it all.

It's the same as when pollybass types duuuuurrrr girrrrl after BA posts.

But let's leave it as is, we know matt wasn't trying to impress, that's all that matters.

:)

11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Just listened to it, pretty cool. I can't play drums for nuts and sorry I wasn't jumping on you, I was merely highlighting what Pac typed because its very true. I just talked to some kid who told me he doesn't want to get books or a teacher. I asked him, "Why's that?" and his answer was "That will spoil everything, if I do I can't slap in front of girls and tell them I didn't receive any forms of lessons for it"

:rolleyes:

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh yeah, Matt, have you tried permutations?

http://www.myersdaily.org/joseph/javascript/speed/pn-1.html?4

there are all the combinations where n=4

assign a value to each number

it could be fretting hand 1-2-3-4=frets

it could be right hand 1-2-3-4 equals strings(make n=5 if you use 5 string bass)

it could be both

by doing exercises like this it will help with your ability to use that technique in any way you can think of, instead of just patterns and stuff.

also you may hit a permutation that just sounds cool, and get ideas from it.

it's a great exercise, I HIGHLY recommend it.

the best part is, you can permute virtually anything, just assign the values for 1-2-3-4 to something

It could be Thumb down(1)-thumb up(2)-pluck index(3)-pluck middle(4)

then permute that do it, granted some permutations will be a little bit impractical, it's the theory behind it that counts.

you just gotta apply it.

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    wrong robot: very interesting! ill have to try that out javascript:smilie(':bassist:')

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah permutations are golden, truly wonderful exercises, and since you can apply it to virtually anything, and they are easy to figure out, it just makes it that much better.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WR: Thanks I'll check that out

Pac-Daddy: It's ok, I wasn't hurt that badly. :) But I do totally agree with your statement.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The single biggest thing about the second clip that jumps out - it's generally pretty cool - is that it needs to come back down on the "one". I'm not even sure what time signature it's supposed to be in? :) Not that that's bad - but it's so close to having the funk - it's like you can hear the funk coming, then it's like psyche!! and it just keeps up there in the air.

So - that aspect probably isn't there with the drummer - maybe you are more inclined to bring it down once in a while, or maybe just because the drums put down the one. But I'd work on getting that without the drums.

Also a bit of metronome work would be good - a few little burbles here and there in the time.

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Another tip: Try drum rudiments.

18. Using a metronome for 30 minute a day with the beats on 2 and 4 will develope your sense of time. Try it!

;) Treena

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Sounds pretty cool, though I agree with whoever said to cut out some of the ghost notes.

Just my .02.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh damn, I just downloaded the MP3 myself because I completely forgot what it sounded like. That is the worst playing I've heard come out of my hands in a long time. :eek:

Jeez, I uh... wish I hadn't posted those. :meh: So those of you saying, "Sounds good" to make me feel better... take it back... NOW! :spit: :)