Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OMFG..What a Great Find!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pantsman, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Ok, first a little story :p

I have been looking around lately at amp and cabs, seeing as i live in Australia my choices are limited and damned expensive. The only thing i could find in my price range was Behringer, now i don't really mind their gear but i would rather buy something ... "better".

I was walking around the Valley in Brisbane looking for this Music Store that stocked SWR, but i couldn't find the place!!

So i decided to go to the 2nd hand store, that have had the same crappy and overpriced gear everytime i went there ... untill today!

I saw this funky looking 115 cab, no brand logo on it, i checked the price tag, AU$275, but no brand name!! then i looked really close on the back panel and in little writing saw ... TRACE ELLIOT!! this was an old school 1518T !!! with twin ports.

Jammed on it for a bit, no rattles even when cranked and that thing is built like a tank and not even that heavy! it has definately seen better days but that is easily fixed with a re-cover and a quick paint job. So i haggled them down to AU$225 and then put a $55 deposit on it.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist:

Now i just need to find a head and a 210 :p

btw, pics will come as soon as i get that baby home :p

2. lol you haggled them down on the price and then didnt even pay right away. Good find though.

3. Got a problwm with that :p i told him i didn't want to pay $275 for a 'no-brand' cab :D cause the trace badge is missing from the front grille, i don't mind though :D

I had the urge to start humping it in the store :p then i thought i might soil it. HOORAY FOR NOT HAVING TO BUY BEHRINGER!!!

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Awesome, congats. Wanna make it a name brand? You can buy Trace badge plates along with other parts & accessories here :)

5. Nah, i kinda like the idea of, 'Secret Gear' if anyone ever wanted to know what brand it was i guess they would ask. But thanks, i bookmarked the site if i ever change me mind.

Btw, what do these bad boys actually sound like, they didn't have a head there so i had to use an Ashton combo's extention speaker out (Ashton is an Australian brand with ****e tone) and it couldn't really give the Cab enough power. They had an old Ibanez gutiar head but he wouldn't let me use that .... Moron.

But i decided i am going to go hump it for a few hours tomorrow :ninja:

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    just found me an SVT tube head and a 8x10 cab, both together for $500 US......... :)

7. Nice score Pantsman, hope you find a good 210 and head (cheap) soon!

INSANE score Juniorkimbrough!

8. I believe the place you were looking for was Billy Hyde on Barry Parade. And the only SWR gear they got in stock is a new WorkingPro 700 and a WorkingPro 4x10. Tried it out the other day, sounded very sweet and the 4x10 was great. Sad thing was the permanent fan. Annoying. I'm pretty sure SWR would have been quite out of your price range though. Even the WorkingPro gear costs a mint over here.

9. I had no intention of buying the SWR gear, i just wanted to know what it sounds like :D

If the cooling fan is a problem, you can easily crack your amp open and install a on/off switch or even a speed controller. I learnt how to do this while working on my PC.

I too hope i find a Head soon, cause a cab ain't worth squad without a head :p and the 210 can wait :D

Off to Music Express to test out those GrooveBass heads you guys rave about and mabe even drool over the SVT Classic ($4000)

Edit: Yeah it the place was on Barry Parade but i couldn't even find that!! until i looked on the map and realized i was already on that street but didn't know :confused: :eyebrow:

Hey Needmoney, do you visit the Subway stores in the Queen Street mall, just that i used to be the assistant manager and i remember talking to a bassist one night, just wondering if it was you :p

10. Sorry man, wasn't me. Do they actually have a GrooveBass 1200 in stock at M.E? I didn't even notice last time I was in there.

11. Ouch! Ashton are the ultimate POS!!! They are one of those famous brands that make everything from guitars to mike stands and picks - and eveything they make is POS.

Good find Pants!

12. Hey since there is a few aussies around in this thread, just wondering if you guys are happening to sell any bass guitar related gear?

13. Awesome find dude,

I love the music stores in the Valley they are great and yes it can be a bit hard to find them originally because they aren't in the exact centre of the valley.

If you are going to Music Express I will warn you there is a real fag of a salesman there who will insist on calling you his brother and will try to sell you everything they have so and will hang around you as you try stuff just ask to try out whatever you want and tell the guy not too leave you to try them on your own

14. Awesome stuff...

Pantsman, be sure to check out ebay.au there is some awesome heads on there at the moment...

15. I'm selling my Yamaha RBX JM2.

16. I can stand any Guitar shops in the Brisbane area. All the sales people are total jackasses.

R.I.P Guitar Central! That place was the absolute best. They were the only Eden dealers in the area. Now how am I supposed to get the rack ears for my WT-400 :(

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You have PM.

18. Whatcha sellin Popin?

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Zee SWR's. Need to pay a debt on the V8 :p

20. How much? Got Pics? PM Me.