1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OMG all hardware green from oxidation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mward69, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    This is messed up, this is for my singers guitar that I am trying to help get clean....
    He has a cat that pee'd in his case and naturally he sprayed some enzyme cleaner in it. Anyway, he put the guitar in the case and opened it a few days later at band practice.....
    The frets, the locking nut, the tuning pegs and keys, AND strings are all rusted or green. This isn't a little wipe off and go thing either...it's CAKED on there, the strings broke from the rust build up.
    Will brass cleaner or lime away type stuff clean it or is he screwed???

2. It's vintage. That guitar just went up $1000 in value!!!!!!!!!:hyper:

3. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    try some nevrdull by eagleone.. I use it on my chrome fisihng reels and it cleans the green salt corrosion off of them so it should do a good job on that guitar

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Wow. Relic-ed by Kitty and Singer. It's a seriously messed up series of events you mention. A Darwin award for him? Anyways, If you want to continue to be a good samaritan (very nice of you) and try to help, give it some elbow grease with a soft cloth and see what comes off. Work up to stronger and stronger solutions (I mean the liquid) if you must. At this point, you probably can't hurt the guitar more than it's already been hurt. I'd say the case itself is already lost cause. If nothing else, and I'd get rid of that pronto before the cat does it again.

5. The case might be salvaged if he leaves it open and in sunlight for a week or so. It most likely just needs to air out and let all the fumes and volatile components dissipate. That will also help with the odor. Then give it a week or two closed, with baking soda inside.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The cat must die.

7. At least it's only a guitar. :D

8. I trained my cat to piss only on guitars.

9. Dam, that cats piss must have been toxic. Talk to a tech and see what he suggests.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    One bottle of rust remover- 3.99

One new guitar case- 129.99

The last four posts- Priceless

11. limit6

limit6

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    0000 steel wool will clean everything. Set aside a couple hours and allow a few days for the skin to grow back on your fingertips.

12. Least then you're callouses will be able to stop a bullet

13. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    lol. I like this thread.

Now i'll go buy 10 of the '08 fenders, be in horrendous debt for a week or so, get all the cats to pee on everyone of them, then sell them later. I'll claim they were early prototypes of the 08 models made back in 68 or something.

dude, I hear so many cat horror stories it makes me wonder if I should get a cat at all.

14. Beltdrive

Beltdrive

Jul 16, 2008
    I'm no expert on cat piss, but from road experience lemon oil can do wonders with messed up frets

15. I love my cats. :bag:

I also keep my cases closed.

16. my drummers cats only piss on cables. kind suck having to pack up the PA everytime we have practice.

17. coca cola

18. Toss the case. It has the cats' odor in it- permanently. The cat will wizz in it again. As for cat wizz being toxic, perhaps; I have seen it remove chrome when inadvertantly left to fester.

19. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Toss the CAT~! Once a pisser, always a . . .

20. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I use it on my reels. Especially my disc drags of my fly reels. It will also make a Penn drag work much better.