1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

omg... an unwanted Japan Fender Aerodyne @ $400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    how can that be?
    just on looks alone these are some of the most attractive and desired basses ever made, that it's the top of the line issue and in nice condition leaves me baffled as to why it didn't move quick @ $500 or even it's original price hundreds more. sadly, I'm out of the fiscal running or I'd likely have snagged it a month ago, but what's going on here? yes, I'm in a different region than most regarding sales / resale but when it comes to a great deal on a looker with proven bonafides bfd cos like anywhere, if you don't jump it's sold! makes me wonder if for these standouts the thrill is gone? it sure ain't for me!
    upload_2019-11-8_6-25-35.

2. The Market over there is much smaller, and it would cost a couple hundred to ship to mainland....

tindrum and Iristone like this.
  3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That and it's dirty, grungy and corroded as noted. It'll need some TLC

tindrum likes this.
  4. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    I've seen one locally for less then $450.00,it sat for a
    Long time,no buyer.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm sorry but both of those are meaningless, our market isn't tiny as most would assume, and a normal cleaning is probably all that is needed to ungrunge. shipping is $100 with the neck popped off so it's still a deal for a mainland / Alaska or off-island buyer, Maui is nearly as prolific as Oahu, locally this is just as good a sale as can be found without utter dumb luck. and as noted by mexicant this isn't an isolated incident if replicated state-wide.
    the question remains viable, has the bloom come off the rose?

mexicant likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not to mention, it's the wrong Aerodyne.

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I always liked this one, but stability ya know... lol
    upload_2019-11-8_14-2-8.

8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hm, let's see...
    Yup. If it isn't selling, it isn't the right price. Simple as that.

10. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Good for those who like "P bass with J neck". :p

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I don't find them attractive at all and if they were some of the most desired basses ever made, it wouldn't take so long to sell them.

Joedog and pellomoco14 like this.
  12. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Current prices on Reverb start around $600, but those are the asking prices for items that haven't sold. If you look in the "Sold" listings, most are in the $400-500 range, the ones listed at over $600 are mostly NOS, have unusual finishes or were made for the Japanese market only. And, again, those are the sellers' asking prices, you don't know what they actually sold for.

13. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    400 seems about right, I wouldn't pay that much though.

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I love Aerodynes and only sold mine because I migrated to short scale. That said, for may Fender lovers, the Aerodyne is too "modern" or whatever. People who like the style have other options to scratch that itch. Very nice basses but sort of a niche market.

Ghastly likes this.
  15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I am a Fender fan boy but wouldn’t want that bass even for free.

16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    other than gin1955 we haven't really seen any Aerodyne owners speak up in their defense ...does silence speak volumes? and the odd extreme of those who don't like the looks of one of the nicest looking basses ever made makes me wonder if I even want to see what they'd prefer lol but it does seem that a bass which lists high and sells new @ over 1K isn't even worth $400 to a whole lot of people. if I were Fender I'd have an unhappy face right now, I and many others dig the appearance factor which I'd say is a standout and a P bass with a slim neck is a selling point, but maybe these just don't cut it in the performance Dept.? I can't recall seeing one played out in the wild which is a pretty good measure of acceptance, so it does look like this wine hasn't aged especially well.

17. I expect you know that there were some 32" Aerodynes?

18. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I picked one up in Guitar Center and it felt huge and ungainly. Kinda liked the neck, tho....:woot:

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I had the Aerodyne P vision (still a P/J) and I wouldn't say lacking at all. Thinner and lighter than a regular P with the J neck made it very comfy to play.

Yes. The last time I looked, I saw some on eBay, all shipping out of Japan and costing significantly more than US export model. They are tempting, but I don't buy a lot of basses (by TB standards :laugh:) and I have another Maruszczyk build planned.

Bass V likes this.
  20. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    wth isn't to love with all that??? seems tailor made for a yuge market.
    side; why are you a SS convert?