1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OMG. Best natural sounding electric jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brooklyn, Dec 10, 2006.

1. brooklyn

brooklyn

Aug 10, 2005
    I've often wondered if someone out there made an electric bass that sounded close to a natural double bass but retained the personality of an electric. Rob Allen, as cool as they are not for me. This is one of the most exciting things in the electric bass world I've ever seen.

The other basses they produce look amazing, and the prices seem extremely fair.

http://www.hotwire-bass.com/index_en.htm

Click on double bass

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    OK, I gotta admit I am impressed. The piezo only clip is the most interesting. Yeah, it doesn't exactly nail a good double bass, but the sound of that ebony fingerboard, the chambers, and the piezos is very crisp and inviting! :cool:

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I don't think it slam dunk nails a DB sound, but it's there, and it sounds fantastic. Another one for the post-lotto list for me. :)

4. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
  5. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
  6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    That piezo clip is nice indeed

7. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    +1 :cool:

8. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Yup, I was clicking on the wrong clip. I had to search double bass hotwire to find the clips everybody's talking about. I think that bass sounds real nice, that's very close to an upright sound. I'd be very interested in playing one of those. I liked the sound with the piezo and magnetic bridge pickup, the piezo only sounded great but kinda thin to my ears.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not quite sure why the Rob Allen isn't your thing. If it's playablity or looks, then ignore this post. However, Rob's MB2 bass with an ash body moves the tone of the bass a little closer to the electric bass side of the spectrum, while still having a lot of organic, woody tone. His basses are designed to be used with tapewound flats, so you will always have a little git of the 'pseudo-DB thing' going on, but the ash body with a maple neck and ebony board (all no cost options) quickens the attack a little bit and brightens the tone a touch.

Just an idea, since Rob's basses are so reasonably priced for what they are!

10. jjmf

jjmf Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Edmonton AB Canada
  11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Holy necro-thread resurrection, Batman! :D

rolling-stones-zombies.