Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OMG!!! (Boxing)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 16, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Roy Jones was put to sleep in the 2nd round last night!! Even though I watched, I STILL couldn't believe it! Tarver had his eyes closed when he threw the punch, but you gotta give the man his due.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Are you SERIOUS?!

I didn't watch, I was fishing; but I hate watching Roy Jones fight. He only does just enough to win on points, it seems. He'll half-ass until somebody gets a good shot in, and then he'll beat their asses for a round to get back up in points, and then he'll start half-assing again.

For what it's worth, though; kudos to Tarver for beating him silly.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    apparently not many tb'ers are boxing fans :meh:

i was in shock. i thought tarver would win after watching the last fight, but no way did i think he'd ever knock jones out. wonder what tarver will do now. the same situation exists as before. not a whole lot of great fighters at light heavyweight.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Didn't see it, but I knew it was coming... I thought Roy's been just makin' it though since he stepped up to light-heavy.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's how I feel about Zab Judah.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Was Zab Judah the guy that fought Spinx's kid a few weeks ago?

If it's the same guy (and I think it is) I was absolutely amazed that he won that fight, close as it was.

Boxing's in a sorry friggin state right now, boys. I dearly love watching the Klitschko brothers fight, but there's nobody left in the Heavyweight division that's worth watching. All the other champions are a joke to watch.

7. I was definitely not expecting this to happen.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i saw the pacquio fight and thought he won, but i can live with a draw. marquez won a lot of those rounds, but i cant see how he could have been ahead on one card.

i really want to see a vitali/byrd rematch to shut byrd up. yeah klitchko quit but not because he was taking punishment. he was winning the fight and yet byrd talks like he beat vitali. he won the fight but didnt beat him. he says he was on the verge of knocking klitchko out. i also thought he clearly lost the oquendo fight and should have lost to golotta which is a joke given andrew's layoff.

yeah, i guess boxing is pretty corrupt :D but then again with the officiating in the nba and nfl, im convinced there are games where the league brass wants a certain team to win.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's right. Judah did lose. I was confused because he was so much better a boxer than Chris Spinx. You're right though, with all the screwing around he was doing in the ring he didn't deserve to win. Do you remember when, in the middle of punching it out during around, he turns and looks at the crowd and walks around behind the ropes? I kept waiting for Spinx to put his ass on the ground for that.

Byrd's a patsy, man; he's just let his head get big over that medical win over Vitali. Klitscko beat his ass for 11 rounds with a torn shoulder, and then gave in to how much it hurt him to move it at all so they gave the fight to Byrd. I would dearly love to see a rematch between those two.

I'd also like for Lewis to come back and fight Vitali again. Note that this was another fight that Vitali was on the very cusp of winning until the ring doctor looked at the cut over his eye and shut it down. He would've won, of that I'm sure.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    i watch boxing every once in a while, i would watch it all the time but it seems that its never on. im more into welterweight fights than heavys

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I like Roy Jones because he talks so much absurd crap, plus he's kinda cute. (yes there are some girls around here... ;) )

I'm disappointed that he got beat so badly, but I didn't see the fight. Glad I didn't.

On another note: was this on HBO? My boyfriend (bassist) recorded on the HBO boxing theme and I think that's pretty cool. :)

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Is that at the usual time for that (9PM EST)?

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay, cool. I didn't get to see either of those. Thank, man!

:D

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

16. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm staying at a hotel this weekend so I got to see the replay of the fight last night on HBO. Oh man the opening was classic after the ref gave them instructions and then asked if there were any questions:

Ref: Do you have any questions?

Tarver: Yeah I have one. Do you have any excuses tonight, Roy? Do you have any excuses tonight?

Or something to that effect. I'm of the opinion that someone can talk all they want if they can back it up and Tarver definitely did that. He talked his smack and then he walked out in the 2nd round and cleaned his clock. Jones is a chode...he still wouldn't give credit to Tarver afterwards. :rolleyes:

brad cook