1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OMG! Dan Lakin is BACK!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowBSix, Aug 12, 2019.

1. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I saw a post on FaceBook and he's back with the company. I called him after and he shared that he'll be building as you like! Any pickups on the market, short scale basses and he'll be building guitars too.

All instruments will be American made!

All orders will start with a one on one consultation either by phone (312)576-3943 or email dlakin@lakincorp.com

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    I wish Dan nothing but the best. He's a gem in the bass world.

steveb119, MCF, 16notes and 5 others like this.
  3. LowBSix

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    He told me everything will be no less quality of anything he's been associated with previously that's been Made In The USA!

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree with all that. However, I wonder what his niche and appeal is going to be.

Lakland is doing very well and Lakin didn't exactly take off last time. Also the "Shark" was visualy terrible.

5. LowBSix

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    He seems to me that he’s going to the route of a boutique builder. When I mentioned the ‘Skyline’ series, he told me there’ll be no imports. Given his amazing reputation and high quality work, I see no reason not to succeed.

16notes likes this.
  6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Am I missing something? Didn't the Lakland business model survive because the Skylines kept them in production? Is Dan doing this as a hobby?

7. Can someone tell us the history of Lakland?

When you say he's back with the company, I assume that means he left.

How is Lakland doing as a company overall?

Mike

8. LowBSix

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    I understand it’s his passion.

9. LowBSix

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Mike, this is Dan Lakin’s company separate from Lakland.

10. Thanks, I did not know this.

Mike :thumbsup:

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    He left Lakland years ago.

LowBSix likes this.
  12. I didn't know this either.

Thanks.

Mike

LowBSix likes this.
  13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I wish him the best but I am not sure if his new business will stay profitable.

14. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I would love to build basses for a living, but I've crunched the numbers and by the time I buy the equipment and tools, I'd never be able to physically make enough basses at a reasonable price to pay my bills. I honestly don't know how boutique builders do it. I'd love to see a P&L statement.

Martin D. Hill, Axstar and dralionux like this.
  15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I had a negative experience with this guy. Lākland is better off without him.

16. Juice Box

Juice Box Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Honolulu/Seattle
    I'm a little lost...Is Dan back with Lakland, or did he start a new venture?

qwench likes this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

This is absolutely correct. Lakland didn't become profitable until way after they launched the Skyline Series. There was actually a non-music related article at the time that showcased him and the company.

GregC likes this.
  18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Did his company D. Lakin basses die? Come to mention it, I didn't hear or read too much about them after their initial release (or his re-release after parting with Lakland).

19. 16notes

16notes Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Glad to hear Dan is back with a new venture. I have been a fan going back to his newsletter days selling used basses.

Dan brings a wealth of knowledge as a player, builder and music industry professional. Perhaps his greatest gifting is his passion and customer service. He is one of the good guys in my book.

To the doubters, I say give him a shot before you poke holes - Dan has a history of surrounding himself with quality people and defying the odds. J/MM Series, signatures series line, hollowbody collaboration with Mike Tobias, and short scales are just some of the daring creations he has had his hand in during his tenure ate Lakland. Not many builders around with that resume.

Can’t wait to see what he has cooking!

LowBSix likes this.
  20. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    I've worked off and on with Dan both personally and professionally for several years...customer service is one of the most important things to him...and he has always had a great reputation.